Outdrive slow to trim up and down

Status
Not open for further replies.

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently purchased a boat that has a Volvo Penta DP-SM Duo-Prop outdrive on it. When the outdrive is trimmed up or down, it moves extremely slow in both directions. I'd say it takes about a minute or longer to go all the way up, or down. I'm used to drives taking about 10-15 seconds maximum. The seller said the trim pump was changed earlier this year by a marina, and they confirmed they changed it.

The fluid level looks normal, could there be air in the system I need to bleed or something like that? And what fluid is used in these pumps in case I want to try to empty and refill the system?

Is there a procedure to bleed the system, or another troubleshooting method I can use? I'm planning on trimming it fully up and down a few times and watch what the fluid level does as my first test, but I looked quick and though the fluid level was normal.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
check the connections at the pump wiring

make sure they are good and clean and tight

should be ATF or 30 weight in the trim system. check your drive manual.

troubleshooting guide in the manual as well (last section)

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
check the connections at the pump wiring

make sure they are good and clean and tight

should be ATF or 30 weight in the trim system. check your drive manual.

troubleshooting guide in the manual as well (last section)

Thanks Scott, Once the rain quits i'll go check the connections. I can hear the pump running in both directions and it was changed start of this season, so something is up for sure.

Any tips on where to find the manual for the outdrive and the engine, 5.0 GXI? I'm having a hard time finding a PDF version, I saw that Volvo sells a printed copy for the outdrive.

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
check here, however the scanning is a bit to be desired http://162.144.28.33/lib/library.html

I found that site but couldn't get it to slide to the right to see other models. Used a different browser and found the proper manual, thanks!

If I'm unsure what fluid is used, should I be mixing fluids if it looks like it needs fluid? Manual calls for either:
-Volvo Penta Power Trim/Tilt & Steering Fluid
-Dexron Automatic Transmission Fluid

Scott Danforth

Staff member
is it brown, then its motor oil. if its red, its trans fluid

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
is it brown, then its motor oil. if its red, its trans fluid

Its the red stuff, and when trimmed up or down, the level looks good. Seems like its working as it should in both directions, it just takes a very long time and is much slower than I'm used to with my Mercruiser setups prior. Is it common to take over 30 seconds for the duoprop to trim in either direction, or is something up?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
should only take about 15 seconds for full up from full down.

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
should only take about 15 seconds for full up from full down.

Thanks for confirming. So the manual seems to talk about hooking a pressure tester onto the pump, which I don't have. For bleeding the system, it mentions trim/tilt the system a minimum of 5 times and fill the reservoir as needed. My boat is on a trailer so I can trim it almost all the way down, but I can't go the remaining 5%. I may need to put a jack underneath and jack the boat up so I can trim it all the way down 100%. Think this may be the issue that the last bit of trimming down may help finally purge out the air? Any other tips or ideas appreciated.

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
drop the tongue on the floor

Great idea, going to give that a try. First I'm going to check the battery voltage in case the battery is low. Doesn't seem so since it fires the motor right up, but can't hurt to try while I'm in there. I'll update the thread tomorrow.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
make sure the electrical connections to the trim pump area all clean

Status
Not open for further replies.