Volvo penta stalled now won’t start

Knottyd

Cadet
Hi guys, i’ll Try to make this short. My Volvo Penta was running great the other day, I went to throttle down and the engine stalled. I tried to start it again to no avail. It wanted to but didn’t. Anyway when I got it home I put a couple of drops of gas in the carburetor and it fired right up then stalled. What do you suggest try looking at first ?
Thanks, for listening.

Bondo

Staff member
What do you suggest try looking at first ?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... The fuel delivery system, from the tank, to the carb,....

I'd pull the fuel filter 1st, 'n examine it's Contents for anything but clean fresh gasoline,....

Knottyd

Cadet
Thanks for the reply, I replaced fuel filter,gas looked clean, checked strainer in carberator clean.
I cannot hear the fuel pump run unless I jump out the relay. I cannot get it to run long enough to see if I’m getting power from the alternator to activate the relay.
thanks

Knottyd

Cadet
The supposed to be a 5.0 GL. After reading different things today there is supposed to be a green wire with a diod in line coming from the alternator to the relay to keep it activated after start. On this engine there is no green wire or diod.
could it be internal with this alternator?
thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Being a GL (A thru E) it would have 2 diodes going to the relay coil to energize it. You should get power from the Yellow/Red thru one diode while the motor is being cranked. Once started the power comes from the ALT.

Since your not getting power to the relay, I would first look to see if you have power on the Yellow/Red wire coming from the from the key switch when key is turned to start. If you get power, then find the diode on the yellow/red wire and test it

VP wiring GL_B.jpg

Knottyd

Cadet
Ok guys, this is what’s going on. I found and tested the diodes and they tested fine. I bypassed the relay and pump ran and engine fired right up. I checked power coming from the ignition switch in the start position and got a current reading.
After I got it to fire up, which only last for about 30 seconds. I checked for power from the alternator at the relay socket and was getting voltage. Can I assume at this point that it must be the relay?
Thanks for the help.

alldodge

Staff member
Did you just say, you had power going to the relay, but after 30 seconds power was still there but the relay/pump turned OFF?

If yes then its the relay

Knottyd

Cadet
Thanks, I will replace the relay tomorrow and let you know what happens.
thanks again

Knottyd

Cadet
Hi Guy's, I installed a new fuel pump relay and that did the trick.
Thanks for your help.