Dipstick lenght

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
On my newly acquired boat, I did some checkup, and found the oil level above the MAX level.
The amount above is equivalent to the 'SAFE RANGE', so I think it is like 1 liter (1 Qt) too much.
The previous owner always hire a marine mechanic to do his work. (it's not a guaranty of quality work though)

I didn't like having too much oil in the engine because of the possibility of oil aeration, so I removed some oil, and it is now back to the MAX level.

But I'm questioning myself, what if the dipstick had been mixed with another one while being serviced in the shop? And the mechanic just filling by the recommended quantity, and now, since I removed some oil, even if the dipstick shows correct level, I'm under the MIN level....

So, I measured my dipstick in the hope someone that is doing some maintenance on his engine could measure the dipstick and compare to mine.

The engine is a VP 5.7Gi 2004.
My dipstick measures 29-3/8'' from the base of the copper part to the tip.
Thanks.

Dipstick measurement.jpg

SD2600

Petty Officer 2nd Class
drain the oil. pull the filter and replace. add oil to the spec grub suggests and check your dip stick. this will tell you where your at... I've heard different opinions as to checking on the trailer vs checking in the water as the boat sits.... take the boat for a run or two then re check... if your level rises u have problems.. if not then you're good to go

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I've heard different opinions as to checking on the trailer vs checking in the water as the boat sits.

SD is right. I failed to mention about how the boat set's on the trailer. If it's not level with the waterline, it won't read correctly. I believe in the in the water check, as it will be in the correct angle for the setup.

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
According to the documentation I have, my engine takes 5.2L of oil with a filter change.

Right now the boat is at a marina and it is not convenient for me to do an oil change there.
I will do it at home when I will buy my trailer later this summer.

It was just in the meantime to make sure the engine was not under level.

On a side note, the zone that shows 'SAFE' on the dipstick and I thought was 1L, well, it seems to represent 0.5L. I measured the oil I removed and it was close to 0.5L.