Accidentally gunned it with outdrive up. What should I look for?

void7910

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok, so in a total bonehead move I accidentally raised the outdrive (SX-A) while adjusting the bimini straps, not noticing this had happened I sat down and throttled up(3-4K rpm) to get on plane. All I saw was sky then the engine (07 5.0 GL-H) beeped then cut out. It restarted without issue (after lowering the outdrive). Accelerated slowly, listened for noise. All seemed OK.

My questions are

1) What caused the engine the beep and cutout (temp read normal just after incident), the angle? Other?

2) I have read that this sort of thing is stressful on the u-joints and gimbal. Now, I didn't hear anything to make me suspect either is an issue. Is there anything else I need to watch out for?

Thanks in advance

dwco5051

Commander
Not an Volvo expert by far but I seem to remember there may be a sensor for the outdrive oil level. With the outdrive up that may have caused the warning horn.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The only sensors on the 5.0GL-H and SX-A are for oil pressure and water/exhaust temps. Nothing for the drive or drive oil level. I'm really not sure what would have caused the beeping or the cutout, as the there is no sort of automatic "shut down" feature.

As for damage, next time you pull the drive off for yearly maintenance, take a look at the u-joints. You'll probably notice a bit of the surface shaved off where the extreme angle caused the u-joints to rub each other. Generally speaking, you should be fine but try your best to check that trim before starting and throttling. I've done this several times over the years, and have that visible damage, but all is still ok.

kenny nunez

Captain
You may have tripped the “over rev” alarm. I doubt if you caused any damage, go boating.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The problem is that when you rev a sterndrive at high rpm when it is at full tilt, the u-joints can possibly hit the bellows. If it was my boat, I would pull the drive and inspect everything especially looking at the bellows to see if they got cut. It doesn't take long to do this and you will have peace of mind the rest of the season.

void7910

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks all! I am not at all surprised if I shaved some life (and material) of the poor u-joints! Good thought about the bellows, will need to check them out. We are due to go camping this upcoming Friday with the boat, so I am not sure I will have time to pull the drive. May have to inspect those bellows from the outside for the time being.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The 5.0GL-H is a carbed engine with no computer onboard. I really do not think there is an "over rev" alarm mechanism.