Engine running stopped now won’t start

Over1227

Recruit
Last week my family were cruising the river. We ran the boat a 1994 Cobalt 200 w/ Volvo Penta Ford 302 for about 2-3 hrs no issue. This would be the 3rd weekend in a row we used the boat no issues. While headed back to the ramp we ran pretty quick but not quite wide open as we approached the ramp I throttled back to an idle to let my son take over..the boat died. No stall no rough idle it died just as if you turned off the key. I immediately attempted to restart but it would turn over just not start. I raised the hatch to the motor and fuel was everywhere. I got a tow to shore. Cleaned it up let it sit nothing. Loaded went home. Next day checked for fire had fire and the boat actually tried to run. I let it sit while at work hasn’t hit a lick nor has it came close since. Changed coil, plugs, electric ignition, wires, fuel pump and cleaned carb. Still will not run. This morning ran for 3-5 seconds and this afternoon I could get it to attempt to run with full throttle. Any ideas what I need to do to solve this problem?

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome:

Tell us more about the "fuel everywhere" part when you raised the engine hatch.

Over1227

Recruit
Fuel was all over the intake. Fuel was coming out the over flow on the back and top of the carb. A lot of fuel. The previous owner had also removed the manual fuel pump and replaced it with an electric. The gauge which usually read between 4-5 psi was bouncing all over. I have since put a manual pump back on it.

alldodge

Staff member
Sounds like you carb is flooding the motor. Carb needs a real good cleaning/rebuild