Water in Motor??

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think I may have water (freshwater) in my engine. Have no idea how it entered? Do they have exhaust baffles in Four Winns 2001 298 Vista twin VP 5.7 GSIPEFS. Was running fine went about 1 hour out to beach port motor died, would not restart. Ran back to marina on starboard motor. Thought it was starter. Yesterday tore into it and jumped starter relay 30-87 turned over like an inch and came back like 1/2 inch backwards. I pulled dipstick level appears high but all oil. I will be pulling plugs, fogging holes, pulling coil wire and rolling over to check for water. i will change oil & filter too. Hopefully i didn't damage anything. Bought boat last year, manifolds looked good was planning on pulling/checking them next year. Now looks like that will happen a lot sooner. I suppose water entered from manifold/risor joint. I don't think it could have come up the Y-pipe to these tall risors. Any advice?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
no shutters in a VP

do you boat in salt water? if so, when was the last time you pulled the elbows off the manifolds to inspect?

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
Bought boat last with about 320 hours. Manifolds looked good, no idea when/if there were changed. Boat originally in Florida for a short time, then Utah, then Colorado in 2009 last year i bought and took it to Michigan. So the first year or 2 it was salt, it does have the engine flush kit. Was planning on pulling risors/manifolds next year, look like that will happen now. Can i do that in the water?

Bondo

Staff member
Was planning on pulling risors/manifolds next year, look like that will happen now. Can i do that in the water?

Ayuh,..... You should be able to, but be fore warned, the water level will be right at, the top of the y-pipe,.....

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
Pulled plugs and found water in there. Sprayed fogging oil in the holes, pulled coil wire and spun motor to get it all out. Cleaned up plugs best I could reinstalled them and coil wire. Now motor spins fine just won't fire. Suppose I should get new plugs?? I plan on getting motor fired, bringing up to temp to burn all the moisture up, and then changing oil and filter. Still don't know how water got in there. Thinking it came up thru exhaust on sudden stop at the exact die motor died and spilled in past the point where exhaust gas and water mix. Does that sound possible?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thinking it came up thru exhaust on sudden stop at the exact die motor died and spilled in past the point where exhaust gas and water mix. Does that sound possible?

that would do it.

get the oil changed as soon as possible (like today), install new plugs and get it running

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
There was no water in the oil, but the level of oil seemed high weird. It was all oil on the dipstick no water or milkshake. I figured i would change plugs get it running then change oil.

Bondo

Staff member
There was no water in the oil, but the level of oil seemed high weird. It was all oil on the dipstick no water or milkshake. I figured i would change plugs get it running then change oil.

Ayuh,..... Sounds like the base is FULL of water, which will be under the oil, in an unrun motor,......

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ayuh,..... Sounds like the base is FULL of water, which will be under the oil, in an unrun motor,......

Yep it was full of water. Guessing I have major problems being it was both in the combustion chambers and the bottom end. It is freshwater and sat in there for over a week. I drained oil but not filter- couldn't get the oil filter in the slip. Added 5 quarts of new oil. But guessing i am going to need a long block or a rebuild. I put new plugs in and motor won't fire. Going to check for spark. Really would like to do myself in off season when I have time. We live on the boat and have fun in Marina. Thinking about having a floating cabin for another month or just putting around with the starboard motor for a bit. And pull motors when season ends in a month. What to do.....