2000 5.7 gsi pwtr repower overheat help

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
See if you can find V/Ps pdf document it tells you exactly how to go about this...

SD2600

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanx Lou. I have the pdf... I’ll shoot the manifold next time I’m out

SD2600

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok, i pulled the lower drive unit and installed new seals part # 3852315, and 3854895.. buttoned it up which was a bit of work by myself but with the help of a ratchet strap and a lil finesse it went back together...

i also installed clear hoses on the impeller.

plan to dip it in the drink and see if i have air bubbles tomorrow am. stand by...

SD2600

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok. just got back from a run in the bay and the exact same symptoms happened.. fired up slowly climbed to 160 held the until rpm was increased... all of the temp readings with the laser were the same as well

on plane i was getting bubbles in the clear intake on the impeller housing. at idle few bubbles.

the seals in the outdrive were changed. i have a new hose that goes from the power steering cooler to the impeller on order...

ideas????

kings... have u replaced the seals in your lower drive? mine were cracked and brittle... maybe a fix for your situation...

SD2600

Petty Officer 2nd Class
fellas on another forum said part # 3 in this diagram is common to cause my issues.... king maybe its your cause too. im going to order it and ill keep everyone posted

Attachments

• photo298156.png
    photo298156.png
    140.6 KB · Views: 0

kingsfisherman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you SD,

kings... have u replaced the seals in your lower drive? mine were cracked and brittle... maybe a fix for your situation...

I have my drive off and will be replacing the water passage seal for the water pick up,

king maybe its your cause too.

I will check the hose as well.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The plastic nipple in the transom mount can crack if the drain plug on the side of the pivot housing is not r moved and rodded out to drain all the water. Then it could suck air when on plane

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That part # 3 could be an issue if corroded. It is the fitting the brings water thru the transom mount. Mine is still original (Volvo just copied OMCs transom mount design).

SD2600

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How difficult is it to replace this part? Any other parts I might need? Trying to get everything ordered so I can tackle the job

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
I would first check the water inlet nipple on the pivot housing, 3852533. This plastic fitting can break and allow air to get sucked in when on plane. If you tilt the drive up it is between the exhaust and u-joint bellows on the port side where the water hose connects from the water tube referenced above. Need to pull the drive to replace it, but you should be able to determine if it's cracked when tilted up.

SD2600

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Horigan, I replaced that part. So I guess the fitting through the transom shield my be the issue

SD2600

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anyone replaced part #3 in the transome shield? Does the shield have to be removed? Can the engine and y pipe stay in place? Any info would be awesome

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have the same exact boat. 2000 216. With the 5.7 GSI 1:43 out drive. And I’m wondering what your max rpms are and what prop pitch you are using.?

harojs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have you checked that your exhaust flappers are still in place and have not fallen down into Y-pipe thereby hindering cooling flow at higher rpms?

SD2600

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Shaper. Prop is 14.8x17 not sure on max rpm yet since I have yet to get my new motor up and running since my overheat conditions...

harojs. No flappers in my y pipe

just had shoulder surgery two weeks ago so I have to heal up before I get back to fixing the boat but I will update