Help on revving without engaging prop

rideus2003

Seaman Apprentice
I've searched and scrolled for 2 hours and haven't found how to rev the motor on my 96 Volvo/Penta Ford 302 - mine doesn't have any additional buttons that other posts mention. I've attached a pic of the shifter. I believe the small button to the left is a circuit breaker button. Only other lever is the one you pull up into the shifter to go move into gear? Engine is fuel injected so maybe this particular model doesn't allow it, which is fine. I've just never been on a boat that couldn't.

Attachments

• shifter.jpg
    shifter.jpg
    474 KB · Views: 0

rideus2003

Seaman Apprentice
No it doesn't - tried that - just a rubber plastic cover that collapses when I do........sorry, I should've mentioned that as it was the first thing I tried.

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Does the entire handle itself pull out/away from boat? Some levers pull out about an inch and then can be revved without engaging gears.

rideus2003

Seaman Apprentice
I'll try that when I get home, there is a mounting bolt directly behind that rubber plastic gasket so I'll play around with it and see. Appreciate the input.

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
If that doesn't work, the only other thing I can suggest is making sure you try pushing in on that middle "button" really hard. Volvos can be a biatch to switch into neutral. Are you saying you've pulled that button off and its just a bolt behind it?

Maclin

Admiral
Slide your hand in palm out behind the handle, then twist the wrist righty-tighty, with most pressure on the bottom of the handle...

rideus2003

Seaman Apprentice
If that doesn't work, the only other thing I can suggest is making sure you try pushing in on that middle "button" really hard. Volvos can be a biatch to switch into neutral. Are you saying you've pulled that button off and its just a bolt behind it?

Yeah, first thing I did was push that button as it's the normal in all my years on others boats and it just caved in, pried it off and all I could see or what appeared to me was just a metal plate and bolt. It's just a rubber plastic cap.

MACLIN - thanks for the sequence of steps to take, I'll try it this evening.

Bondo

Staff member
I believe the small button to the left is a circuit breaker button.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... I find this, Odd,.... never seen a circuit breaker in a controller,....

rideus2003

Seaman Apprentice
I may be incorrect about it being a circuit breaker but I tried pushing the button, pulling up on lever in shifter and pushing shifter forward thinking it was a disengage button for revving but not the case. I tried sliding my hand in between the shifter and side rail like Maclin suggested, nothing was budging......

I'm totally confused myself..........

alldodge

Staff member
When it comes down to it there is no reason to ever rev the motor in neutral except to find a problem. If the motor is running correctly, it will never need more rpm. If the IAC went bad, then you need to rev the motor to prove the IAC is the problem. Guess this is a question for a VP dealer, they should be able to answer it

rideus2003

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks everyone and I agree with AllDodge - I'm not looking to rev for the sake of revving but should the need arise, I was trying to figure out how. Something leads me to believe the small button is supposed to engage the shift disconnect and is probably bad - I'll also reach out to a VP dealer.....

Again, many thanks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the button at the pivot is where you push. however if its not going in, pull the rubber cover off and see if the plunger is missing (little plastic disc with about a 3/4" long stud sticking up)

wont be the first control that the rubber cover popped off and that little plunger got lost.

rideus2003

Seaman Apprentice
the button at the pivot is where you push. however if its not going in, pull the rubber cover off and see if the plunger is missing (little plastic disc with about a 3/4" long stud sticking up)

wont be the first control that the rubber cover popped off and that little plunger got lost.

Ah - I see exactly what you mean and the part that is not there based on the link DENNIS461 posted - got one ordered. Thanks again everyone.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You can order thru iboats...,just follow the links in the volvo parts section of the iboats site