volvo 4.3l v6 GL raw water pump leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDonLC

Recruit
Water pump is leaking on housing. the two connections, inlet/outlet are plastic. Do they come off and can you replace an "o" ring on them?

Misterbulbous

Seaman Apprentice
Water pump is leaking on housing. the two connections, inlet/outlet are plastic. Do they come off and can you replace an "o" ring on them?

The plastic inlet/outlet tubes do not disconnect. General consensus is that if they rotate freely, the entire pump should be replaced. I believe the newer ones are one-piece brass (or something non ferrous). I currently have a similar issue with my impeller housing. The latest impeller kit I received had a foam gasket, but I haven't tried it (and for whatever reason it's like 1% undersized. Right now I get about 1 drip per 2 seconds when connected to muffs - it may be the o-ring inside the housing.

If you feel it's leaking at the tubes, at a minimum make sure the hose clamps are tight.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The newer housings are all one piece Bronze. I saw one of the old bronze/plastic pumps last week, it had been run dry and there was lots of impeller pieces fused to it
If the tubes are loose, tight hose clamps are going to sweet tweet. Perhaps you could buy some time with some JBweld

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
as an FYI.... the older pumps are all one piece bronze as well.

KDonLC

Recruit
Yup, they both spin freely and that is where they are spraying from, not just dipping! I guess they can't be detached to replace O ring? Thanks for the insight.

KDonLC

Recruit
Well I fixed the housing but when the water is hooked up using "ear muffs" and water hose, to my 2001 penta SX outdrive, no water is flowing to the pump. when engine runs impeller is good but no water coming into impeller housing and none obviously running out through exhaust. Can't figure it out! I disconnected main inlet at the raw water housing and nothing coming through with or without the engine running. blew air gently backwards towards outdirve on main outlet hose and no blockage?????

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
did you get the inlet and outlet mixed up? its common mistake

Misterbulbous

Seaman Apprentice
^ agree with Scott. My 5.0 actually assembled better with the hoses reversed. Been there, done that!

KDonLC

Recruit
No, I checked that several times. I had been using an aftermarket impeller that worked fine for a while and was still in good condition. After I exhausted all other avenues, I put in a volvo OEM impeller and...….WATER circulation!!!! I don't know if it was just that it finally got primed and worked or the impeller really made the difference but it works now. THANKS

fishmousta

Recruit
I had the same problem last year. A new impeller would not work for some reason but the old would pump. Ï took the thermostat housing apart and cleared what appeared to be very old impeller blades from a bypass port. All is well now.

Status
Not open for further replies.