starting issue

artcarab

Recruit
I have a 2003 Glastron with a 4.3GL-A it wont start in neutral but when I give it throtel it stars and it stay on as long at I have throtel on but when I put it back to neutral it turns off

check outdrive fluid levels so it only starts when throttled full......if so I got two things to look at if your interested..first check your points and CONDENSER.. sounds crazy but ive seen more carbs rebuilt or sold over a bad condenser..my self included..

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
check outdrive fluid levels so it only starts when throttled full......if so I got two things to look at if your interested..first check your points and CONDENSER.. sounds crazy but ive seen more carbs rebuilt or sold over a bad condenser..my self included..

Volvos in 2003 dont have points. they went to electronic ignition in the mid 80's also, Volvos are usually using Holley Carbs

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have a 2003 Glastron with a 4.3GL-A it wont start in neutral but when I give it throtel it stars and it stay on as long at I have throtel on but when I put it back to neutral it turns off

Welcome aboard.

is this a new thing or has it always happened?

new to you boat or have you had it for a while?

what is the maintenance history.

please explain how you are starting the cold motor, step by step

could be as simple as improper starting technique.

if there is a problem, it would be in the idle circuit of the carb. that would be an easy fix.

my bad wasn't looking at the date the boat was..i thought it was 84..older...carry on...older pentas v8s ran Mallory ignitions Rochester m4 carbs....plus a mix of other carbs too.. and the check the outdrive fluids was from a different post....lol crazy

Last edited: