Power trim works sometimes

Jasaro

Recruit
the power trim will work sometimes at the throttle switch I jumped the pump on it go’s up/down the pump sounds a little week but went up/down with ease I put 2 new relays what else should I check it’s a 2000 striper Volvo Penta 5.7gsi

Bondo

Staff member
what else should I check

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... Start at the battery,.... remove, 'n clean to shiny metal Clean, All the connections, to the trim pump motor's wires,.....
'n don't forget to do All of the Grounds,.....

It costs nothin' but time, 'n will probably cure the problem, or show you where it is, anyways,.....

Insomnium

Seaman
Mine was similar awhile back. Relays and everything were fine. Do Bondos recommendation for sure but if its still acting up I reccomend opening her up. I pulled the trim motor and it was filthy inside. Took it apart, blasted it with electronics cleaner and inspected it. The wires to the brushes were becoming disconnected so I re-soldered them on and it runs like now. Very easy fix.

alan ber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had similar issue ..Trim tilt motor would work then nothing . Port side
Having twin engines I was able too swap fuses, relays ..
My helper , grandson at throttle port trim & tilt in a power position , discovered it worked then did not when I wiggled relay .
This never happened during the years I owned but possibly from past owner was a issue and he corrected by a slight bending of relay leg making contact within box .. I put a slight bend and it has worked fine
HOPE I DONT JENX MYSELF .
PS . I Hate Volvo Penta. NEVER AGAIN . .