AQ150 / 270 how to remove flywheel cover

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is there a trick to removing the flywheel cover? The drive shaft is still in there.
I have the engine removed from the boat, and I'm trying to remove the flywheel cover, so I can mount it to my engine stand in order to replace the oil pan gasket.
Additionally, any cautions or other things I should do while I'm in there?

Thanks for the help!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
after you remove all the bolts, the PDS shaft may be stuck in the coupling from rust....therefore holding the PDS housing in place. in that case, a rubber hammer and start working it

then find out what hung up.

while the motor is out, I would probably change the PDS shaft seals and bearings.

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
while the motor is out, I would probably change the PDS shaft seals and bearings.

Thanks Scott. I just changed those this winter, but the process was such a bear I wasn't interested in taking anything else on. Since I just did it, everything this go round has been relatively easy, so I want to cover my bases.

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
did you change them with the PDS off? much simpler. I have a write-up I did. if you use a heat gun and put the shaft and bearings in the freezer it all slips

I used your advice, and that made it easy. I used a heat gun on the bearing.

The hard part part was getting the exploded outer race out of the recesses of the flywheel cover. I had to weld a large bolt to the race and knock it out. This was after trying to dremel, grab, heat, cool... Assembly was relatively easy.