AQ150 with AQ270 Oil in drive bellows

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 19' Glasply with an AQ150 engine and AQ270 drive. I'm pulling the engine...again...due to an oil leak that I believe is coming from the oil pan gasket.

To the point, I found fresh oil in my drive bellows. I assume this is coming from the outdrive, but would like some more insight. Does this mean I need to have my upper gear unit rebuilt?

I have spare outdrives, but they don't have the right gear ratio. Would it be easier just to swap the upper gear unit? What are the implications of changing the upper gear?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
drain oil and pressure/vacuum test to ensure

upper transmissions are all the same ratio. Trans difference thru-out the AQ style drives is 2 bolt vs 4 bolt on the mounting and 10 spline vs 26 spline on the input shaft.

most likely its the input seal and the sealing thrust washer, neither of which like any rust at all on the shaft that enters the "double bearing box" (input bearing carrier). your 270 drive I believe is shimmed vs the later crush sleeves in the transmission.

if you have other transmissions, swap them, however rebuilding what you have doesnt take too much either. you have to rebuild the "double bearing box" if you change u-joints anyway as you have to pull it apart to get to the yoke.

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
I already have the oil drained and upper gear unit pulled off for pulling the engine. How do I do a pressure/vacuum test?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
you cant pressure test with the trans off the drive.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
use a pressure tester. I use a mity-vac 8500 that does both pressure and vacuum. read the manual on process.

kenny nunez

Captain
If you have to replace the thrust sealing ring there are some small shims inside of it. Be sure to reuse them on the new ring otherwise you will trash out the bearings in the bearing box.