New fuel pump new flooding

Yellow snow

Recruit
Hi. I have a Volvo penta 4.3 gl and recently replaced my fuel pump due to failure. I found a large amount of contaminat in the filter so I assumed that was the issue. I recently had a second pump failure and am now replacing it again. Now when I'm attempting to start it, its shooting fuel like crazy and flooding. Do I have the wrong pump? Float issue? somthing completely different?

Maclin

Admiral
Welcome Aboard!

So, Fuel is shooting out the top of the carb? Or somewhere else? Or in more than one place?

First thoughts are that the needle and seat are being overrun. Now if you did have contaminants in the filter and any larger ones made it into the carb they could be interfering with the needle seating/sealing. Or it could just be too much pressure. Carbs expect from 3-5 or 4-7 psi, you may need to do a pressure check. But if you have not gone thru the carb lately after seeing the gunk then it may be due for a refresh.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Yellow snow

Recruit
Thank you for your reply ! Fuel is coming from the tube above choke blade. I will see if I can get the pressure tested.

Yellow snow

Recruit
Is it possible the high pressure from a fuel injected model pump could cause this ? I wonder if I got the wrong part because I understand the carburetor version is lower psi?

kenny nunez

Captain
If you now have a hi pressure fuel injection pump in place of a carburetor style lower pressure pump that is definitely your problem. A carburetor only needs about 4-5 psi.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Could also be a bad needle/seat. New one is about $6 for a holley