Volvo Penta 3.0 GLM-C with SX-M 1.97 (2004 Glastron 175MX)

Alan L

Cadet
Would like help locating a manual for pulling my outdrive and replacing the u-joints, gimbal bearing and bellows. I have a growling noise when in gear and is more noticeable when turning.
From what I have read here, sounds like my bellows has leaked and ruined my u-joints and gimbal bearing.

Alan L

Cadet
Thank you Further. I don't see a manual for the SX-M. For what I am doing any suggestions for a possible manual on that website that could work.
Thank you.

Alan L

Cadet
Ok using information on this forum I was able to get the outdrive apart. This is what I found: water in the bellows and what looks like a snap ring poking up. The bearing that the shaft runs on is very loose and noisy when turned, inside the bellows at the fwd end. The u-joints have rust but don't seem loose. Suggestions on what to replace?

Attachments

• photo295618.jpg
    photo295618.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo295619.jpg
    photo295619.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo295621.jpg
    photo295621.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 0

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
For sure change the bellows and the gimble bearing, if the u joints feel the least bit rough those should be changed too.

Alan L

Cadet
Thank you Lou.
Are the Sierra parts ok? They have a kit that includes The Gimbal bearing, bellows and seals. Also, the spiders instead of the entire driveshaft from volvo.

320Busdriver

Cadet
Hi Alan, are you able to and planning to do the u joint spiders or shaft assy.?
I am probably doing those on my boat, but my drive is a SX M 1.60.

I think we both have the same issue on the driveshaft..since yours is available can you tell if its Rockwell or Gkn made>??

Last edited:

Alan L

Cadet
320Busdriver,
I was going to try and get by with replacing the u-joint spiders myself, however, Volvo doesn't sell the spiders for my drive. The entire driveshaft has to replaced. The driveshaft is over $500.00, plus I am not sure how involved the adjustment would be.
There is a post from 2009 that the Sierra 18-6406 spiders are a good replacement number. The advice from people here is to stay with the OEM parts, but in this case not so sure.

320Busdriver

Cadet
I am sure I will be in the same boat. so you have a Gkn then. Was it easy to tell? Stamped on the part ? I am going to let my mechanic do it and I am sure he will know what to do to lessen the pain if its possible.

will check the 09 thread too.. keep us advised as to what you do. I am trying to get mine on his schedule asap

Alan L

Cadet
320Busdriver,
They are GKN. The post is titled: GRRRRRRRR Wrong universal spyder parts. 12/17/2009

320Busdriver

Cadet
That will do it. My tech, who operates his business out of his home shop, tells me that when it gets put to bed in the fall to leave the drive all the way down if possible to take the strain off the bellows and maybe it will last longer. The guy who I pay to store the boat can't wrap his head around that one, but they go bad eventually. I checked mine the other day and did not find evidence that its leaking but I have a pretty bad vibe with steering at the limits.

Interesting those 3860232 spiders will also run 320$ if you go that route..Sierra is 1/2 of that

Last edited:

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer
regarding the bellows... Your mechanic is correct... Drive down.... Not to take stress off of bellows, but not to "condition" them in the up position in an extreme environment....

U/J's are available for your drives.. I just answered to 302's post. Please do not take my words the wrong way... Not trying to be mean but just by the post threads, you will do great harm to your drives if you try and replace the whole assembly... For this, please do yourself a favor and let the experienced Volvo mechanics do the work... drive gear assembly tear down and re-assembly is a CRITICAL procedure.

The drive gear bearings rotate at the same RPM as the engine... Bearing pre-load is critical. (Also known as rolling torque)

Alan L

Cadet
billbayliner,
Thank you for the input, not taken the wrong way at all. Replacing the driveshaft is out of my comfort zone. I do have a question about getting OEM parts. I got the VP part numbers for my driveshaft bellows, exhaust bellows, seals ,o-rings, nuts etc from the volvo penta website and ordered them from my local VP marine repair store. I picked them up this morning and to my surprise most of the parts are Sierra not VP. Looking on the internet the prices I paid for these Sierra parts are what I should have paid for VP. I will go back and have a chat and ask why he used Sierra for VP. The exhaust bellows concerns me after reading the VP bulletin about using aftermarket parts.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
billbayliner,
Thank you for the input, not taken the wrong way at all. Replacing the driveshaft is out of my comfort zone. I do have a question about getting OEM parts. I got the VP part numbers for my driveshaft bellows, exhaust bellows, seals ,o-rings, nuts etc from the volvo penta website and ordered them from my local VP marine repair store. I picked them up this morning and to my surprise most of the parts are Sierra not VP. Looking on the internet the prices I paid for these Sierra parts are what I should have paid for VP. I will go back and have a chat and ask why he used Sierra for VP. The exhaust bellows concerns me after reading the VP bulletin about using aftermarket parts.

Sounds like maybe your local VP marine repair store substituted sierra parts for Volvo for you. I'd just order them up from volvopentastore.com

Alan L

Cadet
Further,
Just got back from talking to my local guy. He told me the exhaust bellows was out of stock so he gave me the Sierra because he had it in his store. The drive lock nuts, the six that hold it to the gimbal, were in a little brown envelope with the volvo p/n hand written on it. The didn't have the built in washer. they looked like the Sierra substitutes. He was puzzled and went ahead and refunded my money for those items. When you you buy parts locally how much of a markup from the list price on volvopentastore.com do you see. I am curious if he gets his parts below list or at list. I don't mind paying a little more if they are genuine Volvo and I don't mind he if makes some profit for his effort. I just don't want Sierra at VP prices.

tvogz

Seaman Apprentice
$21.48 for the nuts from VP store. Purchased on Sunday. Bellows kit was not available there. It said through dealer. I located the VP bellows elsewhere for $67 I believe. Same drive as yours.