No announcement yet.

Big vacuum leak?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

have not removed the thermostat yet, going to rain . Is the old boil a pot of water watch with thermometer , watch for it to open still good test?

The risers look bloated and feel like pressure inside. The hoses coming off the thermostat block did not appear to flow with engine running.
    Last edited by Leaky Rear; December 3rd, 2018, 04:36 PM.

Comment

For what a thermostat costs, it does not pay to test it. Replace it.
      If ya can't fix it with a hammer,ya got yourself an electrical problem.

Comment

upon removal of housing , well I did not expect this either- I've not had to deal with this level of rust before. I forgot how to remove the thermostat from the housing.

Comment

I could not find anything on how to remove the what I though was thermostat. So I pulled the spring off, trying to wiggle it out. What am i doing here? Making a mess . Expected a retaining ring ect

Comment

Clean off all the gasket material, I think you may find a retaining ring rusted/stuck in there.

Comment

Thanks , I will give that a try.

Comment

So I scraped off the gasket material , from the housing face - Cleaner and dry in theses pics . The parts , spring and plunger i believe were the old thermostat. Seems the last one I replaced was easier , thought it would just sit in the block and housing bolt over. I do not see a way to remove this metal stuff. Have I ruined the thermostat housing?

Comment

use a sharp o-ring pick to remove the rubber o-ring that holds the thermostat in.
                  Good Luck Muc

Comment

Looks to be stuck pretty good. You have not ruined the housing. Amtech is probably right, also the stat is shot anyway, just break apart the remains and clean it out.

Comment

Thanks muc and grub I'd forgot the O ring. Looks to be a 160 degree thermostat .
                      My concern is the sensor didn't sound when the motor got hot. I will put together. and see where it gets me.

We are getting freezing temps, I am about to cover and store for winter. (head and block freeze plugs n battery out)
                      Goal is to test , and post if it works.

Comment

Do I ask NAPA for a 160 degree for 305 chevy, Is this special marine or standard thermostat?

Comment

You need a marine stat (standard OMC/Volvo 160* stat) an auto stat will not last in raw water cooling applications. Dig out that rubber ring and clean out the housing. Make sure the bypass hole is open and the feed holes for the impeller hose and manifold hoses should be rodded out with a coat hanger wire. If you can clean it up fine but if you see chunks of cast iron flaking off I'd replace it. I found that in salt water I replace those about at the same time as manifolds & elbows, at 6-7 years or so.
                          1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
                          4.3 OMC Cobra

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
                          07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

"While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

Comment

Darn , they insisted it was regular small block 305 thermometer . Of course did not fit.
                            So about 2 hours 20 minutes bucks in gas for a 7 dollar part.

What can u expect from and unskilled person making peanuts!
                            Should have read this AM , before leaving

Comment

typo- thermostat

Comment

Ive been to NAPA , O 'Riely and Autozone. All claim to have the "marine thermostat.

But I'd been sold the street chevy camera 1985 pn#183551.

What they are selling meant to set on the intake and bolt the housing on top.
                                My housing is narrow , the camaro thermostats all was to big - none fit into the housing they are too wide - can not recess into the housing.

No O ring is the first clue , provided with the thermo in the box.
                                Spent 30 bucks on gas.

No thermostat , rain coming . Run NOTHING?

What are chances in warm CA summer the thermostat not needed. i want to bolt together to see if the obstruction to water flow is in the thermostat . Without one I will know , and can proceed with dirt intake and cylinder fogging .

Can I for test purposes do this, eliminate the thermostat , to see if problem so I can cover the thing for the rain.
                                E bay , amazon ? At least i can make them eat the cost when it comes wrong over again.

Do Ii really need the thermostat for general operation May through September , 80 to 100 degree days?

Comment

Working...
                                X