Impeller Oil Alternative?

rapa123

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm about to perform my engine maintenance on my 2006 244 Funship. I would like to know if there is an alternative impeller oil for my 5.7 GXI Volvo Penta engine. For clarity, this is the tiny packet of oil used that usually comes with a new impeller kit. This oil isn't readily available in my area. Thanks, Ray

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
dawn dish soap
ky jelly
olive oil
corn oil
spit

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
When I do my first start up either after replacing the impeller, or after winter storage what I do is put the water muffs on. Then I just disconnect the raw water intake hose (Cobra) or on a Volvo it would be the impeller housing hose at the thermostat housing and fill the hose with marine antifreeze. This will lube the impeller till it gets water. My OMC shop manual said to use OMC gear oil but I have always just filled the raw water inlet hose with water or AF till it won't take any more with the muffs on, that lubes it just fine.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Been using Dish washing detergent for years. Works as good as anything

rapa123

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks goes out to all of you that responded. Some really great options mentioned here. Glycerin, dish soap, antifreeze sounds like they would all work. Filling the water neck with antifreeze first is a great tip as well.Thanks again. Ray 👍😊

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Helps the impeller to prime also. On your first start up the faster it gets water the better.