Power steering fluid loss and heat exchanger/cooler

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Fairly new to I/O engines. Seems I'm loosing power steering fluid but can't find the leak. Recently found out that there may be a cooling/heat exchanger for the fluid. I traced the lines from the pump to the "ram" I think it's called at the back of the engine, on the wall. Cannot see any trace of a cooler at all. Is it possible I don't have a cooler? It's a Volvo Penta GL 5.0.I've posted 2 pics.
Tks to the pro's

Attachments

• photo292059.jpg
    photo292059.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo292060.jpg
    photo292060.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
yes, all boats with power steering have a 2" cooler. follow the hose from your raw water pump to the transom sheild. the PS cooler is between the transom shield and the raw water pump. or simply trace the lines from the pump to the actuator.

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The two lines in the pic are oil in and oil out (PS return) right? There's nothing in between those two fittings and the power steering pump. Sorry for being a dummy...I guess I'm missing something :eek:

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I found the cooler, wow not much room back there for a 60 year old. Really coulnd't find any fluid leaking around the cooler, the fluid hoses seemed to be clamped on with some sort of non-adjustable clamp, not gear worm clamps. Maybe the leak is beyond the fittings in the pic, inside the foot, if that's possible?

RyanW1985

Cadet
The PS lines should be surrounded by water jacket. If its raw water then it should be dumping PS fluid in the water and out exhaust, which would mean you won't see anything other than some traces possibly. You might be able to do a pressure test, but I don't know what specs it would be.

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I keep reading about raw water. Is that opposed to a closed cooling system using anti-freeze only as opposed to lake water for cooling?

dizzy1

Seaman
I have same engine setup and bought my boat new to me 5 years ago. Filled power steering fluid and by end of season was dry in tank. Couldn't find a leak or anything. Used a bottle of Lucas Power Steering leak stop and regular Prestone steering fluid. Since then, I go all season and by end tank goes from top of full line to bottom showing low, but no longer runs out or even gets close. Not a perfect fix but might be worth a try if you have a super slow leak from old seals and cannot narrow it down.

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for your input. Seems like it may be leaking around the front cover, I see a few bolts that I think holds the cover in place, I'll put a wrench to them and see if I can snug them a bit. Must be a gasket sealing that cover. Luckily the other day I just happen to open the hatch and saw a drop of oil from the bottom of the "can of ham" pump so now I'm thinking more there than the cooler, and I rubbed my hand under the pump and there was oil there...... to be continued.