1982 Bayliner Pinta with 2.3 VolvoPenta

Shadow91

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looking at a possible new boat purchase and found an old bayliner Pinta that is in fairly good shape hull and upholstery wise. They guy selling it doesn’t know anything at all and it hasn’t been registered since 2012. It supposedly ‘has bad gas and a bad battery’ but otherwise looks very clean for the age.

Now then i know absolutely nothing about the Volvo penta drives and this one was definitely ran in salt water by the amount of rust in some areas. It is an enclosed cooling system so I would hope the the engine is clean.

What are are common issues with the Volvo engines and drives? It’s a 2.3l and no idea what drive.

What kind of speed would I expect out if this power train? What’s parts support like? What are the pros and cons of this setup? And with seeing the pictures what would you value it as with clean title for both boat and trailer

k0IZFoD.jpg

AhjmOM7.jpg

N5MeMhV.jpg

Zp8rofT.jpg

DSUvcLQ.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,....... If ya wanta be a Boater, keep lookin',.....

If ya wanta be a Volvo Mechanic, go ahead, 'n buy it,.....

The motor is all Volvo, 'n obsolete,... few parts are available for it,....
The drive needs a tear-down, to replace all the rotten, rusted parts,.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Most likely a 270 dtive. You need a new shift cable. While at it, a set of bellows, water inlet casting and a raw water impeller.

the bost is a 36 year old bayliner. I would be less concerned about the driveline and more concerned about the hull being rotten

I would pass for many reasons.

Mainly its an 80s bayliner that sat for way to many years and you are buying it frome someone that knows nothing about it which means trouble

Last edited:

Shadow91

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Okay that’s what I figured would probably be the case. I wasn’t sure for $1000 if it would be worth the hassle or not. Are all the Volvo drives troublmatic? I’ve been mainly looking at boats with mercruiser drives and know very little about any others - we’ll except for OMC and the 400 stringer. Know too much about those at this point haha

The Bayliner Capri seems to be a VERY popular boat in my area and seem to most often have a 3.0 mercruiser which is very similar to the OMC from my understanding. I’m just wanting something a little bigger then I have now with a little easier to get parts support for and has a better stern drive.

Whike i understand at this point im probably asking in the wrong forum, what hulls, engines and drives would I be best to look for. Budget wise I’m looking for probably a 90’s era boat

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
Looks in about the same condition as my boat when I bought it for $700 including trailer.
Had to spend some more money (duh) to make it safe and reliable.
The 270 drive was built to handle V-8 power, so it should last forever connected to a 125HP motor, and you will hit 30MPH on a flat lake/river.

There are two things to consider,
Some of the motor parts are identical to automobile parts and dirt cheap
Some of the 'marine' parts are worth their weight in gold.

You could actually test the transom by trying to rock the motor up and down, as thes did not have front motor mounts.
If the motor is stiff and only move about an inch up/down at the front pulley you should be OK.
If you can rock it up/down about 6 inches, the transom is most likely
rotted.

Attachments

• photo249190.JPG
    photo249190.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 0