1986 bayliner capri aq131a 275 outdive

Stearns250

Seaman Apprentice
so I have 2 issues, I rebuilt the solex 44pa1 carb and now the accelerator pump isn't working, ontop of that the boat is taking on a bunch of water, I just did a service on the out dive and the oil looked good, I was thinking about replacing the seals, is there anyone that can give me a list of the seals I will need to seal the outdrive and any other parts I might need

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
weldome aboard

look at the parts breakdown on www.volvopentastore.com (us site) or marine parts europe

get a complete seal kit

if you have water in the boat, it could be a rotten transom

regarding the accelerator pump, go back to the carb

did you do a bellows replacement?

kenny nunez

Captain
I would leave the drive alone. However the transom may be your problem, check the tension on the transom bolts. That is usually the source of a leak. The transom may be rotted.
There is a small check ball in the accelerator circuit that might be clogged or the discharge tube the same way, go back in the carberator and you will find the problem.

Stearns250

Seaman Apprentice
I really hope its not the transom, I looked for a seal kit and I was unable to locate one, I am going to head to the boat this evening and see if I can locate the leak. What would it take to replace the transom. Also would you be able to like the seal kit, I Google searched and look at volvo parts.com and couldn't find anything.
thank you for the replys.

Stearns250

Seaman Apprentice
Of this helps any, the boat is an Arizona boat and it only has 400 hours on it.

kenny nunez

Captain
You have probably noticed that there is no front engine mount so the transom takes a beating and over a period of time the lower bolts start to loosen up and sink into the transom. And if my memory is correct Bayliner used some type of foam in their transom. I have seen some where the owner reinforced the area with some heavy aluminum.

Stearns250

Seaman Apprentice
ok, so i went and checked the boat, on the outside of the boat at the bottom of the out drive there are stress cracks in the gel coat, so my question is where do i start from here, i knocked on the out side of the boat and it changed pitch about 6" from the bottom. should i sell the boat or repair the transom, if i was to repair the transom how would i go about it. i dont have the first clue as what to do at this point. i got ripped off....

kenny nunez

Captain
I know that around here a transom job goes between $2500- $3000. As I said before you could buy some time by reinforcing the transom with some aluminum. The 151 hp Volvo came with a front motor support, you may be able to get one which would also help the transom.

kenny nunez

Captain
Look under the engine where the bolts come through the transom, remove the 2 bottom and the next 2 up nuts,get some 1/2” or 3/8” X 2” X 3”-4” long aluminum flat stock and try to drill close to center . Caulk around the outer perimeter of the outer plate then tighten the nuts.
This strictly a “BANDAID” temporary fix where you may get some use out of the boat. You will have to keep a eye on the bolts and check them for tightness. And try to locate the front mount cradle.

Stearns250

Seaman Apprentice
How would I install the mount to the boat from the 151hp volvo motor? I have been researching it and cant find any information on how to mount the front engine mounts to the boat.

kenny nunez

Captain
Once you get your hands on the front mount you will see how it mounts to the engine and the boat.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
If the 275 is similar to the 270, look on the starboard side of engine where the shift cable goes through a through-hole on the drive.
There should be a rubber hose through which the cable passes.
The rubber hose serves as a wet-well (or dry-well).
If the hose has rotted of hose clamp loosened, water will leak in.
It is pretty hard to find this connection if you are a big guy.

Front motor mount.
The boat may have had no stand for mounting this, so buying a motor mount is the easy part.
I glued-glassed two blocks to my hull to support a galvanized steel channel running port to starboard.
My gerry-rigged motor mounts connect there.

Stearns250

Seaman Apprentice
ok thank you, i have one more question, can i put a larger motor on the 275 outdirve, if i redo the transom i was thinking of putting a V-6 on it. any thoughts?

Bondo

Staff member
if i redo the transom i was thinking of putting a V-6 on it. any thoughts?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... That drive was built for 1 motor, 'n only that motor,.....

Besides, the gear ratio is way wrong for a V-6,....

Stearns250

Seaman Apprentice
Ok thank you sir. So far I found that the bolts holding the motor on the transom were way loose.I tightend them down, changed the suction elbow on the outdrive, the diaphragm was installed wrong, now I am tuning the carb, that in itself is a pita.so I have the early version of the 44pa1 screwed the air fuel mixture screw all the way in and 2 turns out. No matter the setting I can get this thing to idle. Am I missing something?

Stearns250

Seaman Apprentice
Also can I get a picture of the rigged up front motor mounts, I do not have a location to put the mounts.if I end up doing the transom I want to add in a mount location as well. Again thank you for all the help.