AQ130D rebuild or Repower with 3.9Litet GM

Papa3304

Recruit
I am considering rebuilding the Volvo Penta AQ130D but am having trouble locating all the internal engine parts for this motor. The outdrive is a Volvo Penta 280, which is installed in a Bayliner 1750Mutiny and l was leaning towards just replacing with a GM 3.0 L 4 culture, but the thought occurred to me if any one has done this and if a V-6 4.3 liter would fit in my boat and would work with my 280 outdrive. Any help and suggestions will be helpful. Thanks newly retired and off to work on the project boat restoration.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... The AQ130D is that Volvo B-series car motor ain't it,..??

If so, swappin' in, Any other motor will be extremely expensive, 'n very time consumin',....
You'll need a complete, fully dressed motor, 'n the gear ratio in yer drive will be wrong,....

Ya pretty much gotta replace Everything, Pulleys to Prop,.....

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I don’t know the 120d, but have had slight dealings with the 120b. If it is this engine, as Bondo says it is the occasionally troublesome car derived engine. Some of the later generations had belt driven timing (perhaps yours does) and not really an ideal engine for the marine world.
Most of the boats I know of that did have them in them near me, now have Ford transit van 2.5 4 cylinder diesels in them now. I have heard of a gm 3.0 replacing them, but requires work to bellhoising and mounts at least.
What might be a better idea is to find another similar engine out of a car ? Back to square one then.
Repalcing with a 4.3 would also mean a drive or drive gear ratio replacement too. I’m guessing the boat is as old as the 120 engine...meaning it would be a decision not financially wise, but perhaps you are attached to the boat.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Yank what you have, find a 4.3/AQ290 combo and drop it in and go boating

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
There are parts available but it takes a bit of searching. The 130D is the later model B20 that was fuel injected in the automotive version. There are some internal differences with the C and earlier models. To start, the D model has an 8 bolt flywheel vs 6 bolt. Depends how deep you're getting into the engine, but new pistons are expensive and the wrist pin diameter is different than the earlier ones. Not sure on main bearings but places like FCP should be able to help out.

Might want to determine exactly what's wrong with the engine before considering a complete teardown. Could be that you only need a valve job.

Might also want to take a closer look at your boat. Don't know a lot about Bayliners, but a 17.5' Bounty doesn't sound right. If it's actually a larger boat and in decent condition, I'd seriously consider the advice of Scott and swap out the whole thing.