Not another torque question - 2002 VP 5.0 GXI

herring627

Cadet
I know, check the stickies for Volvo Penta - service manual. If it is the link to the VP website for manuals that's all well and good except I am having trouble finding a serial number match. So instead I have spent a good hour reviewing all the prior threads concerning manifold and riser torque. At any rate, the manifolds are new aftermarket (don't know from where, I didn't buy them) and the risers I believe are stock. New bolts are used with the manifold and originals reused with risers. New gaskets made of some thin metal / foil material are now in place.

Now for the torque, I've read 15lbs, 30lbs followed by 120 degree turn. I have also read 12-18 lbs and 20-26 libs. as well as others (see attached). I have also read to do this once cold and again when intakes are warm. And I bet you are going to tell me the torque differs between new and used bolts and the type of medal. Still, any advise is valuable.

And now for the newbe duh question, The Seloc VP Stern Drive book - I just learned of it - is this something every DIYer should have? As in, if I had the book I wouldn't be needing to ask such a question?

BTW-#8 on the sticky post for VP, it is not broken.

Attachments

• photo286853.jpg
    photo286853.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 2

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Seloc manuals are not worth the paper they are printed on.

Exhaust to head is 20-26 lb-ft of torque (common for 3/8 fasteners into cast-iron) http://162.144.28.33/lib/volvo/manuals/5057a-f.html#/60
elbow to manifold is about 12-18 lb-ft of torque (common for 5/16" fasteners into cast-iron)

Always get the factory manual. Seloc and Clymer manuals have incorrect information.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
To do this job properly you need to know the brand of gasket your using. Different manufacturers can have different torque requirements.
Volvo has come out with a few different gasket designs due to problems that the first couple of designs had with leaking after an overheat situation.
P/N 3863191 is the latest and greatest. they came out with these in 2006 and they have proven to work well. They come as a set of 2 and have some very detailed instructions that cover surface preparation and installation.
If you want to do any further reading about this.

Service bulletin 25-1-7

Parts Bulletin 25-1-1

Installation Instructions P/N 7749161

herring627

Cadet
Seloc manuals are not worth the paper they are printed on.

Exhaust to head is 20-26 lb-ft of torque (common for 3/8 fasteners into cast-iron) http://162.144.28.33/lib/volvo/manuals/5057a-f.html#/60
elbow to manifold is about 12-18 lb-ft of torque (common for 5/16" fasteners into cast-iron)

Always get the factory manual. Seloc and Clymer manuals have incorrect information.

So this is where the manual came from that started me down this path. I am very familiar with the Cooling System section, never did find those torque settings in there. No matter, I will continue...

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Here's what I got out of Volvo's 2002 manual

Exhaust Manifold Bolt to Engine
First Pass 11 ft. lb.
Final Pass 22 ft. lb.
Exhaust Riser Bolt to Exhaust Manifold
First Pass 11 ft. lb.
Final Pass 27 ft. lb.