No power at key

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
2007 Caravelle VP 4.3

stored her for the winter. Didn’t pull battery cables. Got her out today. And no power at key.
battery has 12.6. Battery to ground on engine using multimeter 12.6
electric tilt works fine.

Pulled dash cant get any power at key......blower doesn’t come on. Horn wont sound.....

I cant access the starter. I’ll have to wait until my son comes home. I’m too old and fat to get down there.....
But with it showing 12.6 from pos. Battery terminal to ground on engine. That should mean the starter is getting power...

I’m not sure if the power goes through battery before going to dash.....

Also. just for fun...I tired boosting it off. Just to see if the 12.6 wasn’t engulf......

With multimeter I cant get any power at key switch, or through any of the breakers.

I’m stumped here........

alldodge

Staff member
Check your 50 amp breaker/fuse

I cant access the starter. I’ll have to wait until my son comes home. I’m too old and fat to get down there.....
But with it showing 12.6 from pos. Battery terminal to ground on engine.

Would also suggest removing the battery cable, clean and reinstall

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
Checked relay...its good....

Question.....when I insert the tip of my multimeter into the slots where the relay goes, shouldn’t I get a reading?
no readings with key on or off. Ofcorse, I’m not getting power at key.......

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
Did remove cables/cleaned with wire brush, and cables and reinstalled......I check power at cable and not battery....
the battery was replaced right before season ended last year in November....

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Check at the other ends of the battery cables,.....

Sounds like ya got battery power at the battery, 'n not at the motor,.....

How corroded are the connections at the starter,..??

alldodge

Staff member
shouldn’t I get a reading?

Yes

No 50 amp breaker

I'll guarantee there is something there (breaker or fuse) to protect the motor wiring. Never said which motor, but it being a 2007 maybe a GXI

Note M1, CB amd M2

VP 4.3 GXI wiring.jpg

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
Checked the connections at starter....cant get down there to put multimeter on it....
breakers are on dash.....there is no power conning to them.....

its hard to believe the starter went out being stored.....
I’m still not sure if the power goes through the starter then goes to dash......

thanks

alldodge

Staff member
While there may be an issue with the starter, I don't see the starter being your current issue. Power should go from battery to starter post, then from starter post to 50 amp breaker. If this was a Merc I would also say look at the 90 amp fuse on the starter post which protects the alternator.

Could verify that you have 12V on the ALT post so far as checking if there is a fuse/breaker on the post

Could take a piece of stiff household 120V wire (24 or 14 gauge) and connect your meter probe to one end. Strip just a little off the other end. This will give you a long meter probe to work with

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
Think I found it......while doing research on the web. It looks like there is a 90amp fuse on the starter....
again. I will have to wait until my son arrives to change it for me.....

Attachments

• photo286499.jpg
    photo286499.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo286500.jpg
    photo286500.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 0

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
My Old VP used to have 2 glass fuses in the dash. If one of these was blown, nothing at the helm.

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
Tested the 90amp fuse. It was bad......went down to my local boat repair shop. They had one....18 bucks. Come back home and believe it or not....I managed to get it installed.... I dropped it a few times and had to stand on my head to retrieve it.
its a ROYAL PITA. I cant see it. Have to work from feel.....

i didnt get get finished before I had to leave. But its installed just not all the way tighten up....
will finsh tomorrow. And let you guys know...

thanks for all all the help......