Need Help with 2004 Volvo/Penta 5.0 GL

01Danes01

Cadet
I have a 2004 Volvo/Penta GL. The engine will turn over but will not crank unless I spray starting fluid into the carb. Once I start the engine the 1st time using starting fluid, it will run fine the rest of the day. I can turn it off and it will restart without any issues (without using starting fluid). Once it sits for a couple of days, I have to use the starting fluid on the 1st start. This has just started happening but, In the past year or so, I have replaced the starter, replaced the spark plugs, rebuilt the carb, changed the oil, replaced the fuel filter and checked the filter into the carb. I've been using Non-Ethanol fuel.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

are you pumping the throttle to set the choke? did you verify that there are two streams of fuel being sprayed into the carb every throttle pump?

01Danes01

Cadet
I put it in Neutral and push the throttle to approximately 3/4 full throttle. I have not checked to see if fuel is being sprayed into the carb

alldodge

Staff member
As Scott mentioned, you need to pump the throttle to get fuel into the motor after it has sat for a while. To set the choke, put shifter in throttle only mode. Throttle only is done differently depending on your shifter. Either has a button which is pushed in, or handle is pulled out.

Push handle full forward and bring back to 1/4 forward and crank motor for 5 seconds. If it doesn't start, pump the throttle foward twice and back to 1/4 forward and crank again.

Some times it takes a bit of cranking to get to fuel pumped back into the carb. Try never to use starting fluid, its hard on the motor

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Fine advice above.
If not, might suggest you have an issue with the fuel delivery lines not staying primed. Maybe the N/R valve or a leak/air draw to blame.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Pump one full stroke to set choke, pump second full stroke to prime motor, move throttle to about 1/3 and turn key. When motor fires, pull throttle back to 1500 rpm. Let run at 1500 for about 2 minutes, then go boating

Shade Tree boy

Seaman Apprentice
You might also check the battery. If the battery is old or not holding Enough charge, it may not be able to crank the engine fast enough to pump enough fuel at cold start.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Have you verified that:
1) the choke valve closes all the way on a cold engine when you open the throttle all the way?
2) the choke valve is pulled open slightly when the engine starts (vaccum break functioning)

the Volvos that were carbed used Holley carbs that model year range and there is a lot of information and support available on Holley's website.
your symptoms are consistent with a non functioning choke.

alan ber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had same problem during recent weeks
Having New long blocks , twin 4.3 Volvo Penta - fuel injected

New long blocks are basically new engines using old external parts ,but on mine installed new alternator , distributor , starter . using older working items is prone too issues but was lot cheaper then new crate

I am in shake down with 10 hours since install and expecting issues

2004 Regal Commodore 2860
Fuel pumps replaced 2 years ago out of warranty, ( recent weeks pumps not quiet, hearing wining sound )
Fuel pump wining is an indication of weak fuel pump cell , high or low ?

My Issue is port engine .
Engine is sensitive comparted too starboard, any water hitting engine , becomes hard starting
Few weeks ago cold start , port would not start ? Not smelling gas after hitting throttle many times ,.
Starboard fired

My set up ( 1 ) 100 gallon fuel tank feeding 2 engines . Each engine own external GREAT VOLVO PENTA
electric pumps

Cranked a few times, no go.

Sprayed engine start down throttle body .
Fired up , fine all day ( just like U )

My thinking , loosing pressure and fuel is returning into gas filter on that engine
Returning too boat few days later, Port engine , would not start .
Tried something different
I primed pumps , turned key not starting , hearing fuel pumps . Did this 5 times, on 6th time, cranked almost started .
On # 7 it started

I sprayed a AMZOIL product , coats distributor and wiring with a film too stop moisture, .
What ever I did worked . Now starts first turn . Both engines cold stall unless gas is given few minutes then idles fine

Don't believe this AMZOIL product corrected anything , just pump are holding pressure then loosing . Filter tight , lines tight and clamped

If I have issue again will put a meter on fuel pump . There is a fitting like a bike air fill on pump and another I believe near distributor cap , check psi , I believe it should be around 50 ( not 100 % have too check on psi )

GOOD LUCK

Maclin

Admiral
The original poster has a 5.0GL, which is a carbed engine, so there will not be any kind of schrader valve to connect a pressure gauge to. Their problem is most likely a combination of the problem areas mentioned.

01Danes01

Cadet
Pulled the fuel intake line to the carb. I'm getting fuel to the carb but it is not sending fuel to the carb bowl. I'm guessing I have a stuck float. Is there anyway to clean the float with out disassembling the carb?