'08 Volvo Penta 5.7 GI Water In Cylinders

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm sure the marine machanic will know the things that need to be tended to as far as maintenance parts while it's apart, but any suggestions on things I should have a hard eye on as far as maintenance?
Bellow replacement?
Driveshaft inspection?
Read about a plastic nipple on drive that should be inspected? My drive is a DPS ...not sure if it has the nipple or not.
I want to make sure I do whats needed while it's apart but dont wanna do overkill either, as this is costing me a ton of cash already 😑

KAR37922

Cadet
So what was the root cause, failed manifold / risers? Did you have a survey done on the boat. Not sure if they would have caught this. I know when I had my survey, they spent time measuring temperatures of the manifold / risers. Also, I would look back over the contract, did the seller claim that the risers were recently replaced. If he had not replaced them, this could be fraud on the sellers part. Was their a broker involved? I'm not sue happy, but if he intentionally misled you - that's fraud.

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This was a private sale, and no survey. We spent a great deal of time running it on hose, inspecting all the components, making sure everything was operating as it should, checking fluids, checking temps etc.
We then scheduled for a sea trial a few days later. After 20-30 min worth of run time, we agreed on the sale.
Prior owner claimed a service was performed approx 6 months prior to the boat going up for sale and shortly after that service, personal issues got in way of using boat. He explained how manifolds were pulled, inspected and reinstalled with new gaskets.

I see evidence of the service work being performed as there was new gaskets on risers & manifolds, a newer oil/water separator, new water pump impeller, spark plugs, fluids & the oil looked Very clean....and overall boat was very well cared for.

As for the reasons on the water intrusion I have no idea yet. I haven't pulled the motor apart to see the exact cause, but I will once I have it out of boat. Either way, the motor has to much water in it for too long to even deal with it.

If the owner knew of any concerns, he never eluded to anything.Im sure it happens more often than not but it sickens me to know that people will sell their issues to another without disclosure & even worse when it's a family, wife & kids and so forth, looking to enjoy a day on the water , only to be shysted by an !-hole unloading his issues.

THAT being said, this could have just been the luck of the draw without any indications to the seller or me......Either way, I own the boat and the motor issues now, and have no choice but to make it right so that my family can once again, enjoy the lifestyle we love so much, BOATING!

KAR37922

Cadet
Well - once she's all fixed you'll forget about all of this. One day at sea (or lake for me) will be worth it all.

alldodge

Staff member
Just like a car, suggest never buying a boat without a test drive. After a 20 minute ride do your checks. This won't catch all but will catch some that would not show up on a hose

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Get her fixed don't look back, consider it a learning experience. Some of us need a lesson to learn from for the next time. Take comfort in knowing that you will be able to use the boat with a clear conscience.

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did a once over on the boat when we got back to the dock. Unfortunately, it's difficult to convince a boat owner to allow you to REALLY dive in and explore, even if you know you have the skills to investigate.......but I get it, because I wouldn't let anyone wrench and explore my past boat sales unless they were a certified mechanic / surveyor & a exploratory contract was written up😎

Yes, praying that in approx a week or so, all this will be behind me, and we can move forward in enjoying our boat!

I'll report back once we're up and running again 🚤