Ughhh, my port forward engine mount bolts aren’t aligned.

I was literally doing the final things before I tried to start the engine after doing all of this work to it, when I placed the insert between the engine mount and the block, I immediately noticed something wasn’t correct. The engine is aproximately 3/8” lower than where the bolts from the engine mount want to go. I’ve attached a picture. How do I fix this? It’s a 98 Volvo 3.0.

Attachments

• photo285547.jpg
    photo285547.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Pull the drives, get alignment bar and go from there. Need to check alignment every few years

I guess I have to figure out how to get those bolts reconnected first though, right? Maybe I can lower the front bolt on the adjustment screw and that will lower it? The front starboard side bolts are still screwed in as are the rear. It looks like the level adjustments are done with the main nuts in the front mount and the four front bolts have to be secured first before the alignment adjustments can be made.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Pull the drive and raise the front adjustment as high as you can. Be careful since only one side will be supporting the weight and the bolts could snap seeing how rusty they are.

Once the front of the motor is as high as you can get it, wedge some wood blocks under the oil pan and then lower front adjustment until the other bolts line up and tighten then up. Raise the motor to take the wood out and align the motor with an alignment bar.

Bondo

Staff member
I was literally doing the final things before I tried to start the engine after doing all of this work to it, when I placed the insert between the engine mount and the block, I immediately noticed something wasn’t correct. The engine is aproximately 3/8” lower than where the bolts from the engine mount want to go. I’ve attached a picture. How do I fix this? It’s a 98 Volvo 3.0.

Ayuh,...... Pull the drive,....

Scrounge 'round the bilge, 'n find the missin' motor mount spacer,....
A block of aluminum 'bout 2"x 3", with 2 holes in it,...

Pull those 2 bolts, 'n see if the threaded ends are busted off, or the threads are knarled up,....
Inspect the threads in the block those bolts go into,.....

Suspend the motor from above, 'n raise it up to 'bout where it's gotta be,....
Reassemble that side of the mount, with the spacer block in-place, 'n barely snug the bolts,....

Remove the bolts from the starboard side of the front mount, as they'll be loose, bent, or broken if the port side fell that far,...
Restore that side of the front motor mount, 'n finish tightenin' the port side bolts,....
Lower the weight of the motor, back onto the front motor mount,....

Now,....
With an Alignment bar, check the gimbel alignment to the motor's coupler, 'n adjust accordin'ly,....

When aligned, slap the drive back on, 'n Go Boatin',....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If you didnt pull the drives and align with an alignment bar, you will toast your coupling