D5 vs D4

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1999 Albemarle 24cc. The drive is a DP 290. The original power was a 5.0 little did I know the motor was bad. Never could get full rpm's. Went to D4 props. Then changed out the motor to a 5.7. Still running D4's. What is the opinion of staying with the D4's or going back to the D5's which were the originals. I can't tell you if there was a difference between the two. Because after changing the props I re-powered. My thought is to go back to the D5's. That is what the boat came with. Any thoughts?

alldodge

Staff member
Sorry but voicing a VP issue
Hope someone comes up to clear things up but, A D4 and D5 means nothing to most folks with props other then VP experts (so to speak). If a D4 was an actual pitch degree angle (19, 21 ect) we would all have a better idea of how to help.

With all props, it comes down to the pitch angle, the WOT rpm, and gear ratio of the drive.

Only thoughts of not knowing what is happening is:
If the D4 is achieving max rpm at WOT then this is best. If your over reving, then need the D5

Maclin

Admiral
What is your top RPM at WOT now? That is the tell. The 5.7 rpm range is 4400-4800 I think. If you can rev higher than that then go up one number in whatever series prop you have. I say it like that because a D series is aluminum propset for the later SX DuoProp drives.

Pretty sure it goes like this:
The B series is aluminum props for 280DP, 290DP, DP-A/B/C for gasoline engines, the A series for Diesel.
The D series is aluminum for the later SX DuoProp drives.
Stainless Steel for DP290 and DP-A/B/C/D is C series.
Stainless for the later SX DuoProp drives is F series.

Here is a link to a post that has the VP prop guide attached, I will warn that a person may be more confused after they look at it :D .......

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...88#post5891288

alldodge

Staff member
Hey Maclin, is there anything which translates ABCD... to pitch angle?

Maclin

Admiral
AllDodge , Not anything I have ever found officially from Volvo. I remember Don S wishing someone good luck on figuring it out as VP was no help. I ran some real world numbers (ratio, mph,rpm) on my B5 set, and it was about a 21 pitch. My B7 set was about a 23 pitch.

Solas now has propsets for VP, they started after VP's patent ranout or something like that. If you look on their site it shows actual pitch and came out to about the same thing I came up with. A B4 is 19, B5 is 21, etc. I had posted their website a while back on here but got in trouble. iBoats does not show the pitch, only the Solas website lists the pitch. Where Volvo numbers go from x1 thru x8, the Solas does not seem to offer all the numbers

From what I learned, the A,B,D aluminums and C,F series stainless all line up on the pitch. C4 same as B4 same as D4 same as F4, etc.

The A series for the older VP DP's are for Diesels, but work ok for gasoline too if you need to. They have thicker blade width at the hub.

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well it's about as clear as mud. Like yall it would be great if I was able to figure diameter and pitch. All I can say is that with the D4 props I get to about 4350 rpm's at WOT.That is with full fuel 120 gallons, and clean but painted bottom, drive and tabs. Not sure what will happen with the D5's. Maybe safer "if it's not broke don't fix it" I was thinking because the boat came with the D5's. But if the pitch is greater I will lose rpm's. Maybe best to let sleeping dogs lie. Thanks for the help

Maclin

Admiral
The D4 is lower pitch than the D5. The Volvo numbers in sequence represent relative low to high pitch. There are not any variations available on the same "pitch" prop set, meaning a D4 set is a D4 set, no options like diameter or cupping, etc. The front prop is bigger diameter than the aft prop, they have a very specific shape engineered in for each, almost a variable pitch effect. VP kept their blueprints close to their vest so to speak. That prop guide is the best we get regarding official prop specs.

So, now at WOT you only get to 4,350 RPM's? Is the engine fully broken in? Thta is just under the low range of the recommended RPM band of 4400-4800. Seems too low of an RPM for me, like the new engine may be down on power still due to some tuning needed. What is the MPH, just curious. Also how accurate do you feel the tachometer is. Maybe with that load it is all it can do. If that is the case then definitely do not go back to a D5 set or you will risk lugging the engine as you are close to lugging now.

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That was WOT right after re power. Have put about 30 hours on since. Did an oil change at 10 hours per mechanics recommendation. I have a tendency to not run hard. I will run again this week and got to WOT to see if there is a change. MPH was about 32 at WOT. MPG is averaging about 2 MPG. I will keep all updated Thank You.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Very unusual to have D series on a set up like that. A B series and more specifically a B5 would be normal.

Maclin

Admiral
Barry, you really need to do the WOT thing just for a short test, even if you do not "use" it during normal operation. Knowing the WOT RPM's attainable is the best prop dial-in method there is. Good luck!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Very unusual to have D series on a set up like that. A B series and more specifically a B5 would be normal.
I agree. The D series propellers are the aluminum versions of the Stainless F series and are for DPS drives...not a 290.

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I could be totally wrong about the drive model. It may very well be a DPS not a 290. I know that I had spoken with Albemarle a while back, and they told me that they were D5 props when the boat was first sea trialed. During one of my annual services I closely examine the props and found they were stamped D5. Tomorrow I will run her at WOT to see what I am getting now. Figuring the motor has been broken in. At that point I will look at the manual for the drive (which is on the boat) and report back the drive model. Thank you all for the information.

Fishhead-1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like it would be a dpsm with a 1.95 ratio with the small block. To bad your not closer to me I have a spare set of f4 you could try out, that would put you in the ballpark.

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just checked it is a DPS out drive. Will run it tomorrow to see if the motor loosened up any.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
WOT, and trim up until you get top speed.

your Albemarle 24 is only 300# heavier than my Cruisers and the same length and I was hitting 45MPH with the stock 271C with a 290 DP and B6 props. switching to B5's and I was reving a bit more and dropped a bit in speed. a bit of tweeking on the 5.7 (cam and intake) and I was hitting 49.8mph at 4700 RPM with the B6 props with just myself on board. just shy of 47mph with 4 cases of beer, 60# of ice and about 600# of peoples and 150# of dogs

you should be seeing a bit more RPM's and speed with either the D4's or D5's with the 5.7

have you had the boat weighed?

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just checked the boat specs. Dry weight is 3900# Fuel capacity is 118 gallons @7# per gallon 826# Total weight with fuel 4726#. I keep the aft fish boxes full of water because she has a tendency to sit bow down at the dock, and water collects at the base of the casting platform. I guess this is because the motor sits so far forward. When I am fishing the water is out of the fish box and probably has about 50# of ice. Add to that a couple hundred (about 200) pounds of gear and tools. Probably close to 5000# without crew. Going to check on THT to see what others get with the same boat. Going to run it tomorrow.

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Please stand by. The best laid plans. was going to run her this morning. Wind is blowing North East 20-25 mph with gusts to 35 mph. No way would I attempt Carolina Beach Inlet. I think I can wait another day or so.:eek:

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay, ran her today here are the results WOT 4550 average rpm low of 4530 high of 4580. Speed 34.6 mph which is about 30kts.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thats in the middle of the recommended RPM range