Set timing 5.7l GSI

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
I wanna check my timing on my 2000 chap has the 5.7 GSI. I can’t find much on iTube. Just regular Chevy tbi motors. They are setting them at zero at idle and unplugging something before and the set timing then replugg. Is the procedure the exact same. And I was told advancing it by 2 will give is a nice HP kick. Can any give me a step by step procedures list. Thank you !!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Your not going to notice any "HP kick"

alldodge

Staff member
Don't know of a GSI but do know some of a GXI.
Is this a TBI or MPI motor, and does it have the EST or HVS (Crab cap) distributer?

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
I'm finding a GSLi and it shows the EST distributer, and assume the GSI is the same. Its a TBI with EST distributer.

If it looks like the DLC connector then need to connect a jumper between pins B and C

2012-08-24_140330_di.jpg

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yea it’s a TBI , distributer cap. Like me a 94 model Chevy. Thanks all Dodge. Looks like I need to
order the adapter plug!!

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok so. Will it still be running at 1000 rpms after I do this.? And once I set the timing to zero. Top dead center. Do I just shy Down the motor and removed paper clip. And replug. Remove negative batt terminal. For 30 seconds. To reboot computer. Then start Engine

alldodge

Staff member
Start motor and bring idle up to 1000 rpm
install paper clip
adjust timing
remove paper clip
motor should idle down

Timing can be adjusted to what ever you want it to, but remember moving from factory spec may damage the motor