Outdrive paint

larson260

Seaman
I have a DPS-B drive. What is the recommended paint to use on it. The drive is four years old and clean. The reason I'm asking is that the marina charges $100.00 to paint it after reinstalling it at the begining of the season. Seems a bit stiff. I have to have them do the hull due to E.P.A. regs.

Bondo

Staff member
the marina charges $100.00 to paint it after reinstalling it at the begining of the season.

Ayuh,...... That IS pretty steep, for what I do with a scrap of cardboard, 'n a $5. rattlecan of Rustoleum,....

alldodge

Staff member
If the $100 is to remove, sand, paint and reinstall, I don't see $100 as high.
If the drive is removed and stored as part of the winter storage cost, and it cost an additional $100 for painting prior to reinstalling, then agree is high.
Bondo has the answer with the rattle can

I wonder why it needs to be painted each season? If the paint is in good shape but dual finish I would leave it alone.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I buy the Volvo paint from amazon or ebay along with the primer. You can usually get everything for around $30. I lightly sand, prime and refinish mine each year while in storage.

Maclin

Admiral
Are you talking about anti-fouling? Or just a touchup of the VP finish.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
like Maclin asked, what type of paint? if this is a slipped boat, most likely anti-fouling

Thalasso

Commander
If it's clean why mess with it? Your not going to get as good of job as factory paint with rattle cans.

larson260

Seaman
Sorry for the confusion. The boat is slipped for the season. Anti-fouling is what I am looking for.

Thalasso

Commander
Example. Trilux 33 is $40.00 a pint. Is it worth it to you doing it yourself is the question

alldodge

Staff member
I wouldn't paint the outdrive at all unless aluminum is showing. Would like to know if the paint is coming off and if there is any pitting going on.

If it must be painted then suggest a good high speed ablative paint like Micron CSC

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I wouldn't paint the outdrive at all unless aluminum is showing. Would like to know if the paint is coming off and if there is any pitting going on.

If it must be painted then suggest a good high speed ablative paint like Micron CSC

Doesn't Micron CSC contain copper? If it does you do not want to put it on the out drive. If you are going to use Interlux it will need to be TriLux. Also you do not want an ablative paint on the drive it will wear away to fast.

alldodge

Staff member
Doesn't Micron CSC contain copper? If it does you do not want to put it on the out drive. If you are going to use Interlux it will need to be TriLux. Also you do not want an ablative paint on the drive it will wear away to fast.

Yes CSC has copper but has less copper then most other paints. If it is used, it should be on top a good base coat enamel or epoxy.

That said, first as mentioned previously, I would not paint the drive.

Have used CSC for many years on the my hull until having it stripped all off, now its on a lift. If you rub your hand on it while in the water, you can see it sort of milk off the top coat, which keeps everything off of it

Just my opinion, others vary

Scott Danforth

Staff member
down here in the land of fast growing barnacles, moored boats get their drives painted with AF.

Thalasso

Commander

Not for outdrives

larson260

Seaman
Thank you gentlemen for the input. If you would look at my situation again with a little more input, it would be appreciated. The drive still has the original paint on it with no signs of aluminum showing through. I have no idea what the marina had put on it the last two years, most of it wore off and it was black in color. I have a feeling they used bottom paint and thinking I was doing the right thing handed them 100 bucks. The boat is in a slip in a creek that feeds a brackish bay. Last year at haul out I found "one" barnical on the prop. What do you think of the idea of cleaning it up and leaving it this season to see what happens.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Only you can answer that. The ablative paint did its job ever year so far. For peace of mind i would spend the $100. That is less than a 1/3 tank of fuel or my bar bill at first stop