Volvo penta SX-M

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
I'm replacing the prop seal on this 1999 Volvo SX-M for my Son in-law . I have the bearing carrier out , and everything was going fine. I pulled the shaft out, but the shim ring seems stuck inside the lower unit. It is slightly off center also. I have done one of these before, but the large shim ring came right out the. It appears to be pulled away a little on the top and bottom, but stuck tight on both sides. Any chance they might have some sort of glue to hold during install ? I tried using a little offset pick with no luck. I did not want to just re-install without checking the rolling torque, as the prop shaft had a very slight wiggle before I took it apart. I did measure and mark the carrier before removal, so if worse comes to worse I can return it to where it was and maybe a hare more . To make sure we are all on the same page, this is the app. 4" ring you can get in different thicknesses, to shim the carrier roller bearing. I think I need to buy a thinner one to tighten it up.
Thanks Dave-R .
PS. I tried the manuals at boat info, but their site is not working.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
I got it out. The shim ring was bound up inside the lower unit. It was never actually fitting around the carrier bearing housing like it was supposed to. Before I started to take everything apart, I noticed a little play both back and forth, and in and out. When I installed the ring, I put a light coat of grease to make it stick on the housing where it belongs. After re-install, and adjusting the torque everything is nice and firm. Hope this helps someone. Dave-R