Volvo Penta 5.7 GI efi hard start wont idle

alldodge

Staff member
Glad to hear your up and going
Yes the cap and rotor can cause issues, but if it was the cause then you would be getting a miss as rpms increase. My opinion is still the IAC

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Maybe the fact that I cleaned the orig IAC with carb cleaner, its now decided to function correctly...not sure.
Sometimes,,,,,,,,, although I want the answers,,,,,,, I just thank the Lord its working, and keep on truck'n😉
I'll keep all updated

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Thinking that the cap was the issue. Think I suggested that quite early on. Folk must be bored of me saying this about these caps on here, haha. So bad it’s not real.

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok all, here's my update from the weekend.
went out with family Saturday morning. Dumped it in the pond aka gulf of mexico, started right up, no issues. Headed out to our spot on the island, and coming down to idle speed, it died😩
Here we go again....to get it started, I'd have to advance throttle quite a bit then once started, as long as I didn't come down to idle, I was good...as soon as idle was reached, so was an engine dying.

I was originally going to take boat in for diagnosis but thinking I had figured it out, I put it off. Funny thing was the machanic called me to set up appointment but since I thought I had it fixed, I postponed. He told me once it was warm, it might act up because the IAC was more than likely weak...well I guess he was right because when cold it ran great....5 minutes into trip and issue was back. So new name brand IAC is in the works.

BUT..........GUESS WHAT? I'd sit down for this 😕......when we were ready to leave the island, I hit the key and the sound coming from below rivaled that of nails on a chalk board! Back story is I installed new Sierra starter when we purchased boat ( orig factory starter wasn't happy). Well the new starter only having a couple dozen starts on it wasn't engaging the flywheel, but instead grinding against it making an awful noise!

I removed starter while on water to see if gear was free and throwing in and out....couldn't tell if it was fully sliding out on shaft but I could see tiny metal shavings on the starter gear...flywheel teeth looked great though... thank the Lord for U.S. B0@t getting us back to home port.

so now I have to return starter. Should I go with something other than Sierra? Starting to feel like saving a couple bucks on aftermarket parts ( just like the aftermarket iac) is biting me back....any thoughts?

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
I also stay away from Sierra, but would suggest API, Delco Permanent Magnet starter. They are lighter and provide more torque

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks guys, well, I'll go ahead & source a brand named starter like Delco.

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Checking around, I was referred to a local starter and alternator guy by two different major marine shops, & said to be very reputable by many local marine machanics.
Long story short I purchased one of his marine starters and will be installing it this week.

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Now my next hurdle....the IAC.
My thought was if the cheap $45 aftermarket one took a dump on me before I even hit the water, then I'd better purchase a brand named unit like orig equipment from dealer.

At $265 for a Volvo Penta IAC, I 'bout had a heart attack! Not wanting to spend that kind of cash for something so simple, I'm unsure what brand to look for....i mean if that's my only option for something quality, then I have no choice but dang that seems steep! & that price was quoted by 2 different VP dealers & 1 independant repair shop...😑

alldodge

Staff member
While there are some junk out there, I would go to your local auto parts store and lay it up on the counter. They should have it, or you could use the Mercruiser part 805224A1

I think its actually a Ford IAC but maybe achris or Scott Danforth might remember better

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the throttle position sensor is a little-fuse or honeywell (interchangeable)

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
AllDodge, the mercruiser part number you posted is interchangeable with the Volvo Penta iac? Just wondering why a genuine mercruiser iac part would be around 100 bucks and the VP part is like $270!!!! Why such a difference in price? And why would anyone ever choose the VP part if the Merc part is way cheaper and does same thing.....

alldodge

Staff member
Actually I don't know why VP has such a following. Not saying there parts are any better/worst then others, just that everything cost so much more, and finding replacements is even harder.

During the early years of VP the TBI, both Merc and VP used GM's IAC. It was only later that VP started using something different. That said, I'm no VP expert so was hoping another would advise.

Did some more looking and the Merc VP may not be the same.

The link Scott has list an area with a lot of IAC's, this is why I was thinking of the auto parts store. Most the parts have a number imprinted on the side

Here is one on ebay for 50 a free ship
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-IAC-IA...162524173115?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can I vent for just one moment?.....PLEASE!............:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
well, new starter in place today....hit the key and same D*mn THING.......
pulled the plugs, and yep you guessed it...WATER!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
we just bought this boat and out of the two attempts to take it out, nothing but chasing issues....&
now I know what the issue is!!!!!!💧💧💧💧💧💧💧
I'M SO GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR MADDDDDDDD!!!!
Now what to do.......geezzzzzzzzzzz
Can it be saved?
Will I need to spend a zillion dollars for a new one?
I afraid to hear the prices and labor for any of this!!