Volvo Penta 5.7 GI efi hard start wont idle

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
All doesn't ALWAYS go as planned AllDodge...πŸ˜•
Filter would not come off no matter what I did, to include running a screw driver through it as I've done in my past life on other projects.

I had to remove the entire fuel cell and after I was done, it looked like a Tasmanian devil was involved, but I got it off.

Down side is I lost all fuel in filter. I was able to get recover fuel out of the pump which was like concentrated yellow urineπŸ˜•, but I did add a bottle of stability 360 which might contribute to color, I don't know.....the fuel out of the pump didn't appear to be out of norm other than more intense yellow color....& still smelled like gas.

Replaced fuel filter, reinstalled pump and pressurized system, but to late to start it tonight.
what's next I ask myself πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”?

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Try hooking it up to a remote fuel tank, fresh fuel might be the answer.

alldodge

Staff member
yellow color

Anything other then clear is not good. Putting anything in bad gas will not make it good. I don't recommend putting Naphtha, Alcohol and Machine oil (Stabil) in a gas tank.

Try hooking it up to a remote fuel tank, fresh fuel might be the answer.

Agree, get a gas can and length of fuel line and test run the boat.

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok I'll try a seperate tank of new fuel this eve.
thanks for all advice!

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
With regards to the IAC hissing and moving. It’s simply trying to do its job, in my opinion. Trying to counter act the other underlying problem.
I would 100% be at least opening and cleaning the Diz cap, along with suggested fuel filter inspection. May have taken a slug of water from tank.
Honestly. The caps on those are known for weakness and requiring attention. Check for yourself is better than passed on assumptions I think.
Good luck. Keen to hear how you get on.

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
QBhoy thanks for suggestions!

I got out of work to late tonight to try fresh fuel, but did pick up 5 gallons of 93 and fuel line which I'll do tomorrow.

If fresh fuel doesn't do it, I'll move on to the next.

What should factory idle be for a 2008 VP 5.7L GI efi motor? I've read some say 600, some 750, and others say as high as 850.

Frustrating when sea trial went great....our first family voyage out basically a headache....& now I find myself chasing down a gremlin. If nothing else, it's making me familiar with the motor πŸ˜‰

I'll be steadfast this week working on it as I hope and pray to have it resolved and back out on the water come next weekendπŸ‘

alldodge

Staff member
Should be in the 650 area
The 93 octane is OK but all you need is 87.

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, my update.....93* straight to fuel cell with new fuel line & new fuel-water filter for approx 10 min....still wants to die when I decrease the throttle. Didn't really see any difference in the way it ran.

I double checked the IAC just to make sure it was installed correctly. The 2 mounting holes are offset so there's no way I can install it incorretly and the electrical connector/plug fits only one way, and it's a nice & tight fit.

What I notice is when motor is under 700rpms, I hear little to no sucking sound from throttle body. Anything 850 and above and it makes a loud sucking sound. With slight advanced throttle, I can get it to stay in range of 550-700rpm. If I slightly touch throttle getting it near 950-1000, it wants to surge to around 1200rpm and maintain that. If I pull back toward neutral, it dies.
It revs perfect without any hesitation, temp is great and oil pressure perfect.
πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€” now what.....πŸ˜•

Last edited:

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I first purchased, I removed the throttle from the panel it was mounted to for reupholstry. I didn't pull, yank or do anything, only unbolted it, slid it through the panel hole and set it on floor still attached to cables.
could there be an issue there?? I'm grasping at straws right now LOL
also when the panel was off, I witnessed all the zip ties that hold all the wiring up neat and tidy were mostly broken. I replaced the zip ties to keep everything clean....could I have zip tied the wires, possibly with cables and caused a binding or issue there?? I don't recall zipping them all that tight, just more for keeping them from sagging down below the panel.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
can get it to stay in range of 550-700rpm

I don't think the IAC is getting any signal from the engines computer. Need to have the motor scanned for codes

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok I'm on phone with VP dealer to see about scheduling it in for a diagnostic test.
I'm capable, most the time, of fixing the issues, it's just pinpointing this issue im having issues with.

I told them everything that's going on...their initial first thought was fuel pump problems but i told them the psi I'm getting on pumps. They're going to call me back in a bit after they speak with one of their top techs... which probably means "Lets schedule you in for scan " LOL

I'll let you guys know what we come up with. If it's not to in-depth, I just do scan/diagnostic and fix myself.

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I spoke with a VP dealer who is weeks out on schedule so he referred me to a local VP machanic they source out work to.
Speaking with & explaining everything to the machanic, he suggested first i take a peak at the cap and rotor saying they always get corroded and should be inspected and or replaced every season . This was the one thing I hadn't inspected yet.

WOW was it all corroded! I was sure this was the source of my problems. Located one last minute today and raced to get it. Returned to install and........not really any betterπŸ˜•

Still need slight throttle to start and can't back off into neutral. Guess I'll make that diagnostic scan appointment after all.............πŸ˜”

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OMG....AllDodge......
OK, update.....😠
I retraced my steps, rechecked everything I've already done. I looked at the IAC and scratched my head because I didn't see the rubber cap/plunger on the end of it.
I grabbed my old one and yes it still had the rubber plunger. I'm afraid the plunger on new iac has come off and went down the intake runners somewhere! No wonder it's acting wierd, as it cant seal shut when it needs to...i removed the IAC and the entire shaft came out of it!
I pulled the throttle body in hopes of finding the plunger but no where to be found. I'm Guess it went toward one of the valves!!! WHAT TO DO NOW!!!!!?????????

Last edited:

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I put a shop vac on the front runners, reducing hose down to fuel line hoping I could suck it up but no luck. ..its hard to get enough suction through such a small hose.....πŸ˜• could it have passed through without valve damage?

Last edited:

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Another update !
the new one I purchased, after going back to website that I got it from, the image doesn't show it with a rubber plunger but just a brass end.....so in good on whether or not the plunger went in motor BECAUSE IT DIDN'T HAVE ONE LMAO....i I'd remembered the factory one did and I panicked!
doesn't change the fact that this new iac still fell part on me!
Off to VP DEALER to get authorized iac part...
sorry for the red flags, flashing lights and sirens...i should have double checked before posting.πŸ˜•πŸ˜•

alldodge

Staff member
Sorry you got wound up, but the rubber cap is just to protect the end, and is removed before install. I still don't have an issue with after market IAC, but would only buy one with a Delco, Ford, VP or Merc number on it.

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Glad i can entertain everyone here HAHAAA😁
Ok I think I have good newsπŸ‘
After finding that the aftermarket IAC fell apart on me; I decided to clean the throttle body and also clean the original factory IAC with some carb cleaner.
I slapped it all back together and TADAH!! It idles at 650 and doesn't die when I shift in and out of neutral.
I feel it all had to do with #1, the cap and rotor were trashed with corrosion so I replaced it & #2, compounding my search for the issue was the broken replacement IAC wrecking havoc.

Makes sense the cap and rotor was more than likely the orig issue. The spark from what I know, is less intense at idle speed and more intense with rpm. It ran fine when on plane, leading me to believe it could penetrate the corrosion with additional rpm, but not so well at idle, correct me if I'm wrong on this?

Anywho, it seems to be running great. I'll take it out this weekend and see how she does on the water. I'll report back for an update.

Last edited: