Oil change tips for volvo 4.3 GXI-E

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Changed the oil on my 2004 4.3L GXI-E this weekend. First time doing it myself and thought I would just share a couple quick tips for anyone with a similar engine.

OEM Oil filter - part # 3850559
OEM Volvo Oil - part #21681795 (gallon)
OEM Volvo Oil - part #21681794 (quart)

You need 5 quarts of oil.

To get the oil out, you will need a pump. I chose a hand pump by Jabsco that screws on to the dipstick. I ran my engine for 15 minutes to get the oil warm (was 60 degrees air temp). Took about 60 pumps to get the oil out. Here was the only real issue - due to space constraints in the engine bay, I could not attach the pump directly to the dipstick. So you may want to get a small garden hose. I had a 4' hose that I used and it worked out great. Also, when you go to disconnect the hose, have some towels ready as it will drip. When taking the oil filter off put a bunch of paper towels under the filter as it will leak out when you pull it off. Lastly, clean out the area around the dipstick where the pump screws on, as oil will pool in this little area. I was able to fold a paper towel and get it in the area so it could soak up the oil.

Here is the pump I used: https://www.iboats.com/shop/boat-mo...-pumps/jabsco-par-oil-change-pump-manual.html

I recommend putting one end in some hot water for a minute to help it get over the nipple.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you know that volvo only has the oil filters and oil private labeled

a Wix or Hengst or Purolator would be about 1/8th the cost (and most likely be the same filter)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
When I take the filter off my Volvo, I use a Ziplock bag under the filter and let all the oil drip into it followed by the filter to keep the mess under control.

I use to use that exact oil change pump until I bought a powered pump.

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Great idea Bruce, doing that next time.

Thanks Scott. I know about Wix and have read some guys just use regular truck oil filters since it's a gm V6. I got the volvo filter for $10.19 but will look at Wix next winter.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	686.7 KB ID:	10534855 I've used Sierra Marine oil filters for years on my 4.3. I use the Topsider vacuum pump with a garden hose attachment its very fast after you pump it up. I use the Mercruiser 25/40 Marine oil because it holds up well and has better than typical corrosion resistance. I found their claims of this to be true when I had 2 blown head gaskets and salt water in the engine for a about week. There was very little rust when I took it apart to replace the heads and head gaskets. The pushrods, rocker arms and roller valve lifters had basically no rust on them at all.

Attachments

• winterize 016.JPG
    winterize 016.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I use Baldwin Filters, pick them up at an Industrial Supply Wholesaler, less than 5 bucks each. That's less than what the Crummy brand F retails for here.
I cram several paper towel around the dipstick tube, and a thick garbage bag is positioned open below the filter in a garbage can to collect spillage and there always is some. That hand pump has seen better days as the ends keep sliding off the tube. maybe some hose clamps would secure it, or shred my hands is more like it. While I am currently using and have been using Royal Purple, this fall I am going to switch back to Volvo Oil. The VP oils do meet a NMMA cert/spec that most auto oils don't. Outboard Oils, have the TCW-3 spec to meet, Inboard Engines also run in an environment far different than a car or truck, so...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If you have the garden hose threads on the top of your oil dipstick and fab up a garden hose style adaptor for your oil change pump it will work much better....just make sure there is a gasket inside the garden hose female fitting so it does not leak vacuum.

Attachments

• photo284693.jpg
    photo284693.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 4

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi there. Hate to put a downer on your otherwise great post....but I’m concerned that you didn’t run the engine and allow it to warm up before changing oil. Especially if extracting oil through dipstick.
The general idea is that by running the engine to temperature you get all the bad stuff in the oil (contaminants and wear particles) to be held in suspension throughout the oil evenly. Then when removing you can be sure you have the worst of it out.
By not running the engine, it’s likely the bad stuff is still in there at the very bottom.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Scrap that above ! Just read again that you DID run the engine ! My apologies.

monster1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
If you want to save some money and be better protected, go to Wal-Mart and buy a gallon of T6 full synthetic and a Fram Ultra XG30. Wix are great filters but on a high rpm run engine like we use in the marine environment , I want a filter with synthetic media and wire backing. Wix XP filters meet that criteria but the filtration numbers are so horrible that they don't even publish the filter rating.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I would not use a brand 'F' filter on any of my engines. I just feel there are better brands on the market

monster1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Your opinion is based on old information which was based largely on the orange can (bottom line) filters. Fram Ultra filters are one of the best on the market. But run what you are comfortable with.