Trim Sender - SX - OEM or Aftermarket

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Sorry you did not have a good outcome this first time with this. I think my Sierra one is still working, 8 years later!

hmbone

Recruit
I was told by a mechanic that the lower unit had to be removed to replace the trim sender. Is that correct? Or is it much easier?

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I was told by a mechanic that the lower unit had to be removed to replace the trim sender. Is that correct? Or is it much easier?

It can be done without removing the drive, but it is easier with it off.

H2O DVL

Seaman Apprentice
Seller made good on their word and shipped me a replacement unit. Tested good, and now I finally have a trim gauge that goes full sweep with a decent amount of accuracy.

H2O DVL

Seaman Apprentice
Accuracy is decent top & bottom / in & out. There's a slight "pause" when changing directions, but certainly nothing to be concerned about. I was more concerned about it working properly when trimmed in. Now I'll know when I'm down / in all the way without having to listen for the whine of the trim pump, which is hard to do when underway...

RyanW1985

Cadet
Can someone get a pic of where wiring runs. My gauge doesn't work and tried looking briefly yesterday found a harness coming from out drive with a round harness with 1/2 circle plug end. Don't know where it goes?

H2O DVL

Seaman Apprentice
Assuming you're looking for the female end, it breaks out of a harness just below the engine flush fitting...

Attachments

• photo291948.jpg
    photo291948.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 1
  • photo291949.jpg
    photo291949.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 1

RyanW1985

Cadet
Got it, still doesn't work, checked and a wire few inches from sensor cut through. Got a 2 wire sensor, probably leaving it dead unless the one aftermarket that runs $100 gets some more positive feedback. Got a new problem I'm trying to fix.

H2O DVL

Seaman Apprentice
Well, the aftermarket (RECMAR) unit lasted about 2 days in the water. The gauge is now frozen at about 1/2. Pulled the sender and some water came trickling out. Why can no one seem to seal these things properly? It's not rocket science... :frusty:

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I would see if you can return it. Quality doesn't seem to exist now a days. Everyone is out for the quick buck

H2O DVL

Seaman Apprentice
The first one was defective right out of the box. This one wasn't watertight. RECMAR has not impressed me. I've taken the defective one apart, fixed it, super sealed it, and now just waiting to reinstall. I was surprised to pry it open and find no sealant, glue or any other waterproofing agent other than the small bead on the outer case. Cheap....

H2O DVL

Seaman Apprentice
Ever wonder what the inside of your trim sender looks like? No wonder these things fail so easily. Would it have killed them to put some sealer in there...

Attachments

• photo296445.jpg
    photo296445.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 4

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
$10 potentiometer and $5 in plastic. Putting 50 cents worth of sealer would cut into profits to much