Trim Sender - SX - OEM or Aftermarket

H2O DVL

Seaman Apprentice
I know most of you will tell me not to bother replacing the sending unit for the trim because the new unit will just fail in a few years. But, I'm a bit anal when it comes to things (like gauges) working as they should. So, having said that, I'm going to replace the sender (the old one suffered water intrusion), but here's the question:

Do I replace it with the OEM unit for about $200? Or do I try out and aftermarket one for about $130?

Has anyone tried the aftermarket ones with success?

Thanks,

K

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
Following didn't know there were aftermarket options. I too like all my guages working.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I don't know if this applies to a VP drive but on my OMC Cobra, I found that the OE senders lasted about 2 seasons in salt water. When the OE ones became no longer available I tried a Sierra one. That was in 2010 and its still working now!

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I also didn't know they made aftermarket units. I replaced the unit of mine a couple years ago, splicing into the existing wires. Still doesn't work right. I'd maybe try the aftermarket and see if it works.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
While I'm normally a VERY big fan of OEM parts. The Volvo trim sender is so easy to replace, it might be worth trying an aftermarket part for 40% savings.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I used a Sierra one I got right here on iboats. Bought it in 2010 and its still on the boat!

H2O DVL

Seaman Apprentice
I used a Sierra one I got right here on iboats. Bought it in 2010 and its still on the boat!

That is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for, Lou. Unfortunately the Sierra brand sender doesn't seem to be available on here anymore. Can't seem to find it in the store...

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
H20, thank you for posting those links. It made me spend some time on ebay and I found this:

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
I need to install a new depth finder in my 2004 200LX Stingray and when I get the boat off of my boat lift and onto it's trailer for the work, I think it would be a perfect time to install one of these. Thanks again for your information, H20!

H2O DVL

Seaman Apprentice
So, I've decided to go with this sender. RECMAR seems to be a common replacement for OE parts, and the price was nearly 1/2 of the Volvo part. I'll post up once I've got things installed (sadly, still a few months away) to put some closure to this thread.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
My rules of thumb with aftermarket vs OEM parts:

If its easy to replace, and won't cause a major failure if it fails, I'll try aftermarket.
If its hard to replace and I don't want to do that job 2x, I use OEM as long as I can get them.
If will cause a major failure if it fails, even if its easy to replace, again I'll use OEM.
If the OEM has been known to be poor quality, then I'll try aftermarket.

H2O DVL

Seaman Apprentice
My rules of thumb with aftermarket vs OEM parts:

If its easy to replace...

I usually try to stick with OE parts when it comes to electronics, but since the OE in this case is known for premature failure it makes sense to try something different. Especially at 1/2 the cost....

H2O DVL

Seaman Apprentice
So the weather has finally turned into something closer to Spring like and I was able to get the boat home from storage. Installed my new (but aftermarket) trim sender and THIS is the result. I'm hoping I just got a defective unit and that the seller will stand behind a replacement. Just my luck...

https://youtu.be/CNJ0cPHsb5U

H2O DVL

Seaman Apprentice
Did you ohm it out before installing ?

I did, and noticed the readings bouncing around a bit but thought they may smooth out with the load of the gauge. No such luck. Fortunately I didn't have it completely installed, just to the point where I could plug it in.

https://youtu.be/EyLG6ygy1Q4

Seller is going to make good and send me a replacement. Now, I wait...