Water Inlet Removal from Pivot Housing

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
This year I tried to replace the water inlet from the pivot housing on my '95 OMC/Volvo Cobra SX drive as preventative maintenance, but there was a ton of white powdery corrosion holding it in place. I tried to remove as much as I could and tried to drive the inlet out with a block of wood and a hammer. I wasn't able drive it out with moderate effort and just put it all back together after winterization. Next season I'll be replacing the bellows and will try again to get the water inlet out. Is Aero Kroil the best solution to soak the white aluminum corrosion bonding to the plastic inlet, or is there a better penetrant for this issue?

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I encountered similar corrosion while trying to separate my lower and upper DPS-A drive from each other. I soaked the bolts and holes in CLR and it softened the calcium enough to separate. Might try that product. I suggest coating the threads of the nipple with outdrive grease once you get it out to make it easier next time.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
use permatex #3 to coat everything next time.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Either Permatex as noted or the OMC/Bombardier gasket sealer. Will not harden and seals out corrosive salt water.

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks all. I'll try CLR to separate it and will use the Permatex Aviation #3 that I have going forward.