About to reinstall cylinder head. Any tips?

I had the cylinder heads off a GM 4cyl iron block marine engine worked by a machine shop. I am now ready to install it. I have a Fel-Pro head gasket and have cleaned the top of the block really well. What else do I need to do to properly reinstall the head?

Should I do any cleaning of the bolt holes?

What about the head bolts, they have quite a bit of white goop stuff on them. Does that need to be cleaned off?

What type of sealer should I put on the head bolts?

Any other tips?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
clean the bolts or use new. use a wire brush to clean the threads

apply black hi-temp RTV to the bolt threads

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if its a raw water cooled motor, that stuff will go out the block with the exhaust and water. head bolts go into the water jacket, except for one or two. I like to run a cleaning tap in all the head bolt holes, and clean out any crud.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I answered this question for you on the hull truth.....

No Title

Any idea what these are for? They were in the gasket packet.

Attachments

• photo280336.jpeg
    photo280336.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 0

fishrdan

Admiral
Small seals look like valve guide seals, larger ones look like the lifter cover bolt seals. Guessing as the pics are not that clear.

"Chase" all the head bolt holes in the block with a tap to clean out all the old sealant. Wire brush the bolts as suggested, I use a wire wheel on a bench grinder. Use Permatex Aviation sealant on the head bolts, dip the head bolt into the bottle to cover the threads, then brush the excess off the threads (leave sealant in the bolt threads). I wouldn't use silicone to seal the head bolts.

Great. Thanks.

Another question. The Pro-Flex gasket has a ruberish compound on each side of the metal core. The shop manual calls for a gasket sealant for metal gaskets. Do I need this on the Pro-Flex gasket?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Call or email the gasket maker; if it's Fel Pro the great majority of their gaskets are installed dry.