Water circulation intermittent.

CTGunder

Recruit
Thanks for having me here. I recently bought my first boat, a very nice 1972 Glastron V164 with the Volvo Penta AQ130 and 270 outdrive. I first took the boat out to the lake and put it in the water ran it for a few min before I noticed the temp gauge reaching over 200 pretty quickly. Shut it off and put back on trailer after removing the impeller cover and noticing that there was only 1 fin left on it. Back at the house I replaced the impeller with one that was in a bag of parts when I bought the boat. I lowered the motor into a big bucket of water and tried again. It did throw quite a bit of water out the exhaust and then it seems to just stop circulating water after a few minutes. Is this due to the water being so much lower than the level of the boat? When I hook the hose up to the water connection inside the engine compartment on the water intake line it circulates beautifully. Water temp doesn't go over 150 after 15 min of running that way. Any advice? I also question the connections to the impeller housing since they can just pull out with a little pressure. I will try to copy a link to a video of what I am talking about. I appreciate any help anybody has.

https://youtu.be/N8NMVvVNvpE

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,..... My guess is,.... the missin' bits of the old impeller are blockin' the water flows,....

Ya gotta hunt 'em down, 'n remove All the bits,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

now that you burned up your new impeller trying to suck up from a bucket, get a new impeller kit

you need muffs or you need to put the boat in the water. raw water pumps are not self priming. the water line must be as high as the pump when you start, and on your volvo, that is the height of the crankshaft, (basically the whole drive is under water).

you also need to find the other impeller pieces which are now in the cooling system somewhere blocking up water flow.

also, with the AQ series of drives, the water inlet casting is a common failure item. when you pull your drive at the end of every season, you need to inspect this casting, and replace every other year along with the bellows. the casting sits on top of the pivot tube and is what the hose is connected to.

when you hook the hose up, you are bypassing the plumbing outside your boat (casting, etc) and forcing water into your impeller

CTGunder

Recruit
Thanks for the help, how would you suggest to check for the pieces of the old impeller? Where should I start? There was quite a bit of water exiting the exhaust, would that have any indication of a water flow blockage internally?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks for the help, how would you suggest to check for the pieces of the old impeller? Where should I start? There was quite a bit of water exiting the exhaust, would that have any indication of a water flow blockage internally?

you start by pulling apart the motor plumbing and back-feeding each hose/tube/connection until you have accounted for the pieces

you also need to check the water inlet fitting..... infact the failure is so common when you google it, you find blown up images that people have edited to highlight the part.

2011-07-18_181716_10075_0.png