oil filter wrench suggestions?

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
We're looking to get a new oil filter wrench - suggestions on what/where to get?

1998 Wellcraft 240 SE, 25 ft small cruiser. GM 350 ci, carb'd (VP outdrive)
cockpit cover.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... I've got a strap wrench that works just dandy on oil filters,...

Z-LE9wfo5oy.JPG

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
You are never gonna get a wrench to fit around that boat . . . :D

Probably the larger of the 2 common sizes of strap wrenches would do the trick . . . local auto parts store.

Although it could be the smaller one, so get both sizes, unless you can tell for sure. Also useful in taking off the can style fuel filters.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks for the input
Ya, I didn't have a pic of the engine/oil filter available - so I just added one of the boat in general

alldodge

Staff member
Strap wrench takes care of most of mine

strap.png

But love this type when removing the oil filter on the truck and some others. Attach a 12 inch extension and a ratchet wrench and it will reach way up under the truck and grab it. Expands from around 2.5 to 5 inch

imagesITTKI03Y.jpg

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
​If you use the same filter all the time the cap wrenches work well and will fit where nothing else will. I have one for the Sierra oil filters and one for the Merc oil filters that fit the 4.3 since those are the only ones I use.

​A trick I thought of long ago (like 40 years back or so) with the metal strap wrenches (all we had then) was to take a piece of medium grit sandpaper and fold in half, so the rough side faces out on both sides. Then slip this in between the filter and the strap. It keeps the strap from slipping.

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
2Q==
I use this type pretty much for all filters, In some cases you can't get them in tight spots but strap wrenches do.