Volvo aq270 removal

I bought a Bayliner with an aq270 mounted, as well as a spare unit. I want to remove the outdrive off of the boat but no idea where to start. It is complete from the bell housing on down. So what are the steps I need to take and is this a one man job??? The boat is an 85 so figure same era outdrive if that helps.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
yes, its all a 1-man job

I would start by looking at the manual.

lower unit, place block of wood on ground, disconnect shift cable, disconnect bellows, remove steering helmet pin, disconnect tilt, pull pivot pins, pull drive back and put on stand.

drive is now off boat (20 minutes)

then remove 6 bolts from PDS clamp, put 3 in the jack screw holes, remove clamp and donut

undo wire harness, disconnect raw water line, disconnect fuel and exhaust, disconnect throttle cable, disconnect battery cables, remove lag screws, now remove motor with overhead hoist (40 minutes)

unbolt y-pipe, unbolt 6 transom shield bolts - remove transom shield

now everything is out. (20 minutes)

now you can get to the transom to repair it on your 33 year old bayliner

melinprov

Cadet
I have the same unit,I can not figure out how to remove the steering hood pin-is there a special tool or technique? Thank for any help!

kenny nunez

Captain
If there are 2 smaller holes in the steering helmet they are 1/4” 20 and you use those type of bolts to back the stainless fitting out of the top of the gearcase. If there are just 2 holes where the stainless Allen head went through then get a bolt that fits into the fitting but do not thread it in and tap it back and forth to loosen it.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
If the pins are stuck...use a make shift sliding hammer tool.