Leaving outdrive up

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is it okay or detrimental to leave the out drive raised I have a VP 290 DP. I am asking because I keep getting growth on the drive and wheels. I have been using TriLux 33 (the brush on not the spray) on the out drive, trim tabs and both props. The tabs and drive do not get very bad because the paint does not wear off as fast as it does on the props. Just wondering if I raise up the drive it will keep most of the props out of the water. There fore I will not get as many barnacles. Will this be harmful? I have been under the assumption that there is a rubber boot that can dry out and crack.

tpenfield

Staff member
I guess you have never looked at the stern of your boat while it is in the water :noidea:

Odds are you won't see much of the outdrive or props with it tilted. You can certainly try to see how much relief you get.

The bellows won't dry out and crack from tilting, but if they are dried-out, the tilting will certainly contribute to cracking.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Unless you are on a lift, leave your outdrive down as raising it won't get it out of the water anyway. Us trailer folks drop our outdrives down to relax the stretch and make the bellows last longer.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Drive wont tilt enough to come out of water

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
And actually if barnacles are an issue, its more likely to get barnacles in a spot on the bellows where it can cut the bellows if you leave it up. Much better to leave it down. You don't want barnacles on the inner folds of the bellows.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You can jump in the water with a tub of vasaline and slather the prop and drive after every outing to aid in barnacle prevention

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm sorry if I was not clear. The drive is fine. It's the props that load up. If I lift the drive most of the props are out of the water. But yall confirmed what I thought leaving the drive tilted up is not good.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Maybe try putting 3 coats of brush on Trilux on the props so it does not wear off that fast. I have found that it last on my single prop Cobra with just 2 brushed on coats.