Cant turn Steering wheel or Outdrives - Gimbal Ring? - and shift linkage issue?

Capt Dave

Cadet
I found a boat for sale that has some issues, but wondering how bad these issues are, as the price seems attractive.
I do not know much about Douprop outdrives, and even less about Volvos in general.

2004 Rinker 290
Twin Volvo 5.0 GXI-DF
Transom TSK SX-M
Drive Unit DP-SM 1.95

The current owner is underwater on the lien, but medical issues force a sale. Boat has been sitting on land at a marina for about 4 years! So there will need to be some work done.

1. You can not turn the steel wheel, or turn the drives from outside the boat.
From my research, I am guessing this is the Gimbal Ring? - can any confirm this sounds right?
if so, Is there any way to check if it is on 1 drive or both? or if perhaps something to do with the steering linkage itself?
If it is the gimbal ring, how would one go about replacing/fixing? any bearings that swap out?

2. The Starboard outdrive - the shift lever (by the helm) is frozen.
Looking at the starboard side of the starboard outdrive, the shift cable metal casing portion, looks to be badly rusted.
From what I researched, I should be able to take off the outdrive shift cover off, and remove the shift cable where is connects to the drive. Would I manually be able to put the outdrive in forward and reverse? (for testing on land to make sure the drives are good)

I like to DIY alot of things myself, but the boat is about 2 hours away, and not easy to pack up all the tools and work on.. then of course you always run into an issue and need a tool that you didnt take with you. So if anyone has ballpark prices that one would expect to pay to fix the above that would also be helpful in determining if the selling price is actually good.

The rest of the boat looks to be in great condition.

The Port engine has shows 97 hours and the starboard shows 33 hours. I am guessing the starboard outdrive has had issues for some time.. that never got addressed.
Current seller (1st owner - bought it new) said they kept the boat in a slip 5 min walk from their house, and liked to go to it and sit and relax, rarely taking it out on the water much. They used the gen alot (over 1000 hours), so kinda seems legit...? except for the 1 motor having 3x's the hours.

Using a portable gas container, the engines start and appear to run fine.

Any advice, guidance, insight would be appreciated.
Thanks

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I'd think more so an issue with the steering cable, helm unit, or the power steering ram. If boat was hardly ever used, and the P/S ram was never lubed it could have frozen due to corrosion but cables can also, esp if there were any water leaks from the upper transom of the boat onto the area where the steering units are mounted to the inner transom plate. On my OMC Cobra (similar design) the actuator has a grease fitting on it and you are supposed to grease the steering ram at least once a season with marine grease.

​Not sure on the linkage issue, it may be possible to shift it by hand if you disconnect the linkage but wait for some SX people to answer.

Capt Dave

Cadet
I'd think more so an issue with the steering cable, helm unit, or the power steering ram. If boat was hardly ever used, and the P/S ram was never lubed it could have frozen due to corrosion but cables can also

Lou C - is there a way to test for this?
There is decent room to the back of the engines / transom. I assume I could disconnect the power steering ram from the outdrives...? Is it just a few bolts to take off?Then if the outdrives turn freely, then it would confirm its the Gimbal Ring is ok, and its one of the items you suggested.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I might try disconnecting the cable first, as its the most likely to have frozen up. Then if you can't turn the helm wheel, that's your likely cause. Also if you can move the outdrives from side to side with the cable disconnected, more evidence that its the cable or helm unit and the steering on the rear of the boat and outdrive pivot points are OK. It is very rare for the pivots for side to side or up and down to freeze up on these units. Much more likely to be the cable/helm.

​On mine I have never had a problem with either the cable or the actuator, but I usually greased it 2x a season, at winterization and then midway through the season. The steering on this boat is so light you can twirl the wheel round with one finger like the old school Chrysler power steering.

Last edited:

Capt Dave

Cadet
thanks for the advice! I will certainly try that first, and hope thats the issue. Thanks

Capt Dave

Cadet
Shift Cable Frozen, Boat on land, Can I manually engage the drive to test them?

Hello All,

Looking at buying a boat with some issues, but trying to trouble shoot, before I buy.
2004 Rinker 290
Twin Volvo 5.0 GXI-DF
Transom TSK SX-M
Drive Unit DP-SM 1.95

I believe the shift cable is frozen on the starboard engine. (cant move the lever at the helm.), but want to make sure it is the shift cable and not something more serious.
Since the boat is on land, would I be able to remove the shift linkage cover off the outdrive, disconnect the cable from the shift linkage, and manually engage the outdrive into forward and reverse?

In theory would this work? Would i also need to somehow manually throttle the engine?

Is there any other way to test the outdrive having a frozen shift cable?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Dave - I combined your two threads since you are asking or have asked the same question(s) in both threads.

Capt Dave

Cadet
ok, yeah I got an answer to 1 question, but thought the title did not draw people into the post that may know the answer to the second question. So figured I post that separate, guess ill give it a few days.
thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If you want more responses, I can change the title to one that will overwhelm you. :smile:

Bondo

Staff member
the shift cable metal casing portion, looks to be badly rusted.

Ayuh,.... I'm guessin' all the problems above are cable related,....

For checkin' the helm cable, pull the connection pin out from the drive's tiller arm, to disconnect the cable,....

Capt Dave

Cadet
Pulled the connection pin. The steering wheel&cable were were fine, but the outdrive was still stuck. So it is a frozen gimbal ring/housing.
In addition, went to run a compression check, and about half of the spark nuts were completely rusted off... nothing there to get the spark plugs out.
I had to walk away... too much work for me to get involved with right now..

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
It just amazes me how some people avoid the basic maintenance duties required for a boat and do not properly cover a boat to keep these seemingly preventable things from happening.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
​Better to walk on that one. For all that to happen, there must have been a lot of raw water leaking in the engine compartment for a LONG time. I still think the stuck steering on the drive is more related to the steering ram on that side, rather than the pivot pins on the transom mount (never heard of them freezing up even on salt water boats).
​PS if you want low maintenance consider a boat with outboards that are less than 5 years old. I/Os, while they have some advantages, are NOT tolerant of a lack of maintenance, AT ALL. They will bite you in the wallet like you won't believe if you neglect them. That boat has such few (apparently) hrs on it for there to be those problems, it sounds like the previous owners did next to nothing. I have a 30 year old boat and the steering works perfectly. All it takes is a little grease in the right places...