Trolling problems w. Volvo Penta AQ280

Gr8t One

Recruit
My boat runs good, but when I try trolling it will run for about 15 minutes then stall and won't restart for about 10 minutes. Then will troll for a few minutes then stall again. Any opinions would be appreciated

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is it running rich/smokey? Carbed or fuel injected? Trolling rpm? Sorry to answer a question with a question, but a little more info is needed.

Gr8t One

Recruit
It's not running smokey. It's carbed and I believe the RPMs are staying low. I won't be back out on boat until Saturday, but that's what I know from memory

Gr8t One

Recruit
It's a 1984 Bayliner Cuddly w/ 280 Volvo Penta. This problem literally drives me crazy that I can't troll although I've done pretty well drifting this season. Have only owned boat 2 seasons

kenny nunez

Captain
The next time this happens replace the rotor in the distributor or take it out and cool it off. That sounds like the same problems some Mercruiser in line engines used to do until they came out with a longer blade on the rotor. Or you could try leaving the engine cover open just to see if that helps.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Which motor is in front of your 280 drive? VP put everything from the AQ125 4-banger to the AQ 260 V8 in front of it.

I personally would get a kicker, however in most of my boats, for fishing, i drop the prop pitch and bring the idle speed up

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Which one, the 305 (AQ230) or the 350 (AQ260)? help us help you by posting every bit of information you can in the very first post the next time you start a thread. it should not be this hard to get information on your motor to help you.

with a properly maintained cooling system, a properly maintained ignition system and a clean fuel system, a clean carburetor and proper adjustment, the motor should idle all day long at 650 rpm

what is your temperature gauge reading?
can you put your hand on both risers? at an idle, they should be fairly cool to the touch (about 120-130F)
if you open your fuel cap, is there a sucking sound?

kenny nunez

Captain
I have had to add vents or louvers to engine covers with an extra bilge blower to get the heat out from some boats. The un cooled section of the manifolds next to the heads do put out some heat and just idling lets that heat build up since the carburetor is barely pulling air and the crankcase vapors may be also building up. Breaker point ignition systems generate heat inside themselves and the rotor will go to ground if it gets hot enough. If you still have points it also will help to convert to a Petronics conversion. You could be experiencing vapor lock also.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
If you have a points dizzy, I have a VP electronic dizzy from an AQ271C that you can have if you pay shipping.