Penta aquamatic 270

I picked up an 86 Bayliner ciera 2550. It came with a Penta aquamatic 270 mounted and a spare unit. Is this outdrive worth the time to rebuild or is it a problematic pain in the but. I will post up pictures of it once I get it delivered today and up on the cradle.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the AQ series of drives are nearly bullet proof

the 86 bayliner its attached to is most likely in need of a hull restoration

kenny nunez

Captain
2xs on Scott, as a former Volvo dealer the AQ's will outlast the engines and are the easiest to service, the genuine Volvo parts are expensive but you get what you pay for.
As for Bayliner they were good before they were taken over sometimes in the late 70s or early 80s as for then on I am not so sure, Just my 2 cents.

From what I have read it was 87? that Brunswick took over and starting making cuts to the boat line in the form of cheaper materials/ thinner hulls etc. I might be wrong though

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
From what I have read it was 87’ that Brunswick took over and starting making cuts to the boat line in the form of cheaper materials/ thinner hulls etc. I might be wrong though

Nearly all 32 year old boats have rot. Bayliners were bottom line entry level boats with questionable quality for the OMC years before Brunswick came into the scene.