Volvo Penta 5.7Gi-D Strange problem. It will crank but not start after sitting 3days

Puzant101

Cadet
I have a Monterey 322 with dual 5,7Gi-Ds. One engine will crank strong but not start after sitting for 3 days.
If I take the plugs out crank the engine, put the plugs back in, it starts right up.
Or If I disconnect the fuel pump, crank the engine a few times then it will start right up
30 minutes later it will start
6 hours later it will start
24 hours later it will start
2-3 days later it will not start until I disconnect the fuel pump or take the plugs out again.
The plugs do not have any rust and look clean

I a have already replaced the fuel pump (it was making loud noise anyway), the starter, and distributor cap and rotor.

Please help

alldodge

Staff member
I don't see pulling plugs, crank, or disconnecting pump as causing it to start. What is might be happening is in doing this your moving a connection which starts to work again.

Do you hear the fuel pump turn ON when key is turned?
Get a fuel pressure gauge and attach to the fuel rail (item 20). Should be able to rent a gauge from the local auto parts store.
Check connectors at the distributor and crankshaft position. Remove connector and see if there is any corrosion

Puzant101

Cadet
Thanks for responding.
Yes the fuel pump makes the noise every time. It?s brand new, (I had the same problem before I replaced it)
The fuel pressure is is good, I had it checked by two people.
Distributor should be on since the cap and rotor was replaced as week but I will double check it. Today I plan to change crank sensor.

But, it definitely feels like the engine is flooding over time, if that?s true how could it be flooding over a few days? I mentioned the plugs were clean so i dont think it?s water. Plus if it was, at least some other fbthe culinders would fire. I thinks it?s flooding with gas somehow.

alldodge

Staff member
I don't see if flooding, your either not getting gas or spark and need to find out which one.

What is the pressure reading of good pressure?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Mmm...im thinking one of two scenarios...

Either you have water ingress from a corroded manifold or riser or
It's time for a compression test. The engine may be down on compression and when warm will start, but when cold and you are turning over without plugs...it gets the chance to build up a bit of oil pressure in the cylinders by the quick cranking.
Just a thought....
Perhaps more likely as ad had stated or something like the distributor cap and rotor.