volvo penta engine anodes

dodboss

Cadet
I have a 2006 Volvo Penta 5.0GXi-G engine and I cannot find the engine anodes. I have a service manual that points to where they should be, but my engine seems to be different. I purchased the boat from the previous owner who had the boat in fresh water. The outdrive started to corrode before I realized it was fitted with the wrong anodes. I have now correctly replaced with seawater anodes but want to be sure any anodes on the engine are also checked.

alldodge

Staff member
Here is a chart with location info

ob3.jpg

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Never heard on an anode for the engine block, just the outdrive. Maybe I haven't been paying attention?

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Good chart AD, but it's hard to see. Any way to post it some way that it can be downloaded and zoomed in on? Or link to it somewhere? Thanks

Thalasso

Commander
I have a 2006 Volvo Penta 5.0GXi-G engine and I cannot find the engine anodes. I have a service manual that points to where they should be, but my engine seems to be different. I purchased the boat from the previous owner who had the boat in fresh water. The outdrive started to corrode before I realized it was fitted with the wrong anodes. I have now correctly replaced with seawater anodes but want to be sure any anodes on the engine are also checked.

No anodes on the engine

These are for the SX-A and the DPS-A. You don't say what your out drive is
The anode on the right will be underneath the gimble ring the other one mounted on top where the exhaust comes out of the drive
ghBMqPX.jpg

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Agree with others, knowing which drive helps more then the motor. I zoomed in on the pic but it doesn't help much. So made a couple other pics and maybe between others and these it will let you know what you need/have

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Thalasso

Commander
Agree with others, knowing which drive helps more then the motor. I zoomed in on the pic but it doesn't help much. So made a couple other pics and maybe between others and these it will let you know what you need/have

I think (pretty sure i am right) there were only two out drives that year. SX-A and the DPS-A

dodboss

Cadet
Thanks I have found and changed the anodes (2 of them) on the SX/A outdrive . I purchased the do it your self manual from Volvo and in the book they talk about pencil anodes on the outlet manifold but the drawings in the manual look nothing like my engine.

Thalasso

Commander
Thanks I have found and changed the anodes (2 of them) on the SX/A outdrive . I purchased the do it your self manual from Volvo and in the book they talk about pencil anodes on the outlet manifold but the drawings in the manual look nothing like my engine.

You talking about item #3. That's for fresh water cooling Yours is raw water?

smEvfmt.png

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I think that chart is for the old style Volvo drives...

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Usually just on the outdrive with your engine.
Easy way to find out is to just Google and order a set for your engine set up.
Usually consist of an anode behind prop, on trim rams and on the transom shield.

Thalasso

Commander
Usually just on the outdrive with your engine.
Easy way to find out is to just Google and order a set for your engine set up.
Usually consist of an anode behind prop, on trim rams and on the transom shield.

Your referring to Merc anodes