Another winterization question - Volvo SX-M outdrive

The owners manual says to remove a plug on the port side of an SX drive in order to get the water out that appears to be near the bolts that hold the outdrive on the transom.

However my SX-M does not have this plug. There is a plug on the starboard side however and I am wondering if it is the same thing? Just want to make sure i completely winterize the leg as well. The gear oil has been changed already and i have lubed the u-joint and gimbal bearings as well as having replaced the u-joint bellows and the exhaust bellows.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Can you post a pic? These are just drain plugs with a small rubber o ring on them. On some SX models there is a slot on that side where the drive meets the pivot housing. If this is clogged with debris and can't let water drain it can freeze and crack the housing. The plug may serve the same purpose. You can clean out that slot, with a small screwdriver.
My Cobra has two plugs on the stbd side and one on the port. I tilt up the drive, remove them, rod out the holes and tilt it down. Then clean out the threads and put some OMC gasket sealer on the plug threads and re install. I recall reading that the Volvo only has one. But I'd check it anyway.

Can you post a pic? These are just drain plugs with a small rubber o ring on them. On some SX models there is a slot on that side where the drive meets the pivot housing. If this is clogged with debris and can't let water drain it can freeze and crack the housing. The plug may serve the same purpose. You can clean out that slot, with a small screwdriver.
My Cobra has two plugs on the stbd side and one on the port. I tilt up the drive, remove them, rod out the holes and tilt it down. Then clean out the threads and put some OMC gasket sealer on the plug threads and re install. I recall reading that the Volvo only has one. But I'd check it anyway.

i will take a picture when i get home tonight and post it online

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Keep in mind that there are several versions of the 4.3GL engine ("BY" series being yours) and SX drive (SX-M being yours) so this manual may not be specific to your exact model. If you don't see the plug on the side of the drive, it's safe to assume you don't have it, and that area of the drive drains water naturally through the slot that Lou referred to. A picture of the starboard plug would clear it up.

Keep in mind that there are several versions of the 4.3GL engine ("BY" series being yours) and SX drive (SX-M being yours) so this manual may not be specific to your exact model. If you don't see the plug on the side of the drive, it's safe to assume you don't have it, and that area of the drive drains water naturally through the slot that Lou referred to. A picture of the starboard plug would clear it up.

i was kind of thinking that might be the case, i will post a picture on here later. Really appreciate you guys and answering all my beginner questions!

No Title

I have several more photos of both the port and starboard but here is this one for now

Attachments

• photo277960.JPG
    photo277960.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 1

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Are you talking about the drive or the engine block? If you have already changed the drive gear oil, checked the bellows and greased the gimbal there should be nothing else to do with the drive.

I am talking about the outdrive. The owners manual mentioned the outdrive in particular which surprised me because i thought that the water comes out when you lower the outdrive. I have already changed the drive gear oil, i checked/replaced the bellows, and greased the u-joints and gimbal. I guess that means I am done. The manual must be referring to a different kind of SX outdrive......

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I am talking about the outdrive. The owners manual mentioned the outdrive in particular which surprised me because i thought that the water comes out when you lower the outdrive. I have already changed the drive gear oil, i checked/replaced the bellows, and greased the u-joints and gimbal. I guess that means I am done. The manual must be referring to a different kind of SX outdrive......

As far as the drive goes, it sounds like you have done all that is needed. I suggest pulling your prop and greasing the splines if you have not done so.. Make sure you store it in the down position. You will still need to winterize the block and heads.

yeah i have greased the splines so i am good to go, engine is also winterized. Really appreciate all the help guys, now i have confidence that something won't break in our -25 Celsius canadian winters

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Just for future reference, in your photo just above the prop shaft bulge is a 1/8 dia hole that drains the cooling water chamber, on mine this sometimes gets blocked with marine growth, just poke it clear with a bit of wire.
May I also suggest over the winter that you get your prop refurbished, as it has had a few dings which will affect your performance.

you are referring to the same holes I attach my muffs to? or the one that is to the front of the leg? i will definitely get my prop refurbished, thanks for the advice!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The one toward the front of the leg not the water intakes where you put the muffs. To be on the safe side, check the other (STBD) side also, my OMC Cobra has a hole that that right under the lowest water intake hole and one fwd like you have on the port side. This is to drain water that may not run out the water intakes.