Volvo Penta 5.7GL runs bad?

Chigwalla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One test I was thinking of is to remove one spark plug cable at a time, to se if they all makes the same inpact. What do you think about that?

Yep, that's a basic step for identifying the location of any problem and is usually done pretty early on. During troubleshooting, it 'turns off' one cylinder. With that cylinder unloaded, you can pinpoint it as the cylinder with the problem because it doesn't change how the engine is running.
It will tell you where to look, be it bad lifters, rod bearings, or anything in between.

A leakdown test is simply putting each cylinder in turn at TDC to close the valves and pressurizing the cylinder with shop air to simulate combustion pressure (not vacuum). You monitor the pressure over time to see if both the rings and the valves are sealing tightly enough.
That will take a tech an hour to do on a V8 and we already know that one cylinder is low.

A wet compression test will tell you whether it's the rings or the head.
Squirt a bit of oil into the spark plug holes and do your compression test again.
If the pressure comes up, the oil has temporarily sealed the rings and the engine has to come out to fix the problem.
If not, air is likely leaking out the valve seats, head gasket, crack, etc.

Then you can do a leakdown check to see if you can pinpoint where the air's escaping.

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry about the bad info (brain farts) the leak down is pressure in each cylinder as stated above, NOT vacuum.

Ricky_rich

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I hope to get a guy I know who is a mechanic to take a look at the boat this weekend. Summer is over here in Sweden, and the boat has to come up soon... :-/

Ricky_rich

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

I did a test a yesterday with disconnecting one spark plug at a time. I noticed that disconnecting cylinder 2 and 8, had a very little impact on the running engine. On number 2 I think it didn't matter at all. The picture is showing the plugs from cylinder 2 and 4. Number 2 is pitch black. I have sparks on all cylinders. Good compression on number 2 and 8 but obviously not running good???
I bought a leak down tester on Ebay but the crap didn?t work, cheap one from China.

Attachments

• photo278501.jpg
    photo278501.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 0

Ricky_rich

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Think I finally found the problem on my engine. From the previous compression test I know that cylinder 6 was a bit lower than the others.
So today I did a leak down test on all cylinders. Everyone looked good (around 10%) but number 6 that had a 35% leakage, and a wheezing noise through the out drive.
So this can only mean that I have a bad exhaust valve on number 6 right?
DSC_1174.JPG