Pre-purchase concerns on low hour boat

blex

Cadet
Hi all, looking for expert VP advice. I am contemplating purchasing a 2007 deck boat that only has 74 hrs. It has a 5.7 Gi DP (I think DPS-A). I looked it over [superficially] and it is very clean, looks like new. It was only freshwater use, and kept on covered lift. The boat is being sold on consignment by a dealer, and they and have done the service on the boat. They offer a test run on the water.

I have read through many threads about this engine/outdrive and have an idea of what I need to do, but soliciting suggestions. I am very much a do-it-youself type, and capable of doing a lot of maintenance if I purchase it, eg new bellows, gimbal brg, impeller, alignment, change lower unit oil, clean fuel lines and cell, etc, etc. I realize it will need other things done, and if it ends up in my hands, I will do most of it. I will have another thread for advice on that. My concern is the low hours over the long period of time. I?m interested to know what are the most important issues to address as a result.

Thanks for reading so far. So my question is what should I ask to be done/proven PRIOR to purchase, and what should I offer to pay to have done (things that are a must)?

My thoughts: compression test, lower unit pressure test, tilt/trim/pump issues or leaks, fuel pressure tests, read codes, pull props, address any recalls/updates, anything to risers/exhaust, etc?

What am I missing, what else should I ask about? Which of the above [or other] should I pay to have done before purchase? Any of those you think not necessary?

Thanks all!

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Do the test run and monitor all the temps and pressures. Ask what they did in the service, why so few hours and where has it been, if it gets below freezing where it is stored. What size is the boat for that size engine and what do you plan on using it for?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
read this http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gener...er-s-checklist

regarding service. all that you listed should be done. have the dealer replace bellows/gimbal/gear oil and the impeller. if none of those were done, the props may be stuck on the shaft, the bellows may be bad.

maintenance schedule has the props pulled once every 6 months and the splines greased and the bellows replaced every 2 years.

if the normal maintenance hasnt been done over the past 11 years, then the props may need to be cut off the shaft and the bellows could have long since failed. impeller job is a cake walk.

tpenfield

Staff member
74 hours over the course of 10 years would tend to indicate extended periods of layup and non usage. So your concerns would be about those layups and how the boat was prepared for and treated during those times. A bit of history to ask about from the current owner.

blex

Cadet
Thanks guys.

dypcdiver:
It is a 22' boat, I plan on using it on the lake, family outings, pull the tube, etc... I think it was on the lift all its life (has no trailer), and just used minimally each year. I will ask if it was winterized and/or drystacked in winter.

Scott:
Thanks for the link, it has given me more to consider and will definately check them off. Hull, interior, gelcoat bilge all looked extremely good. My main concern is the mechanical since it was little used over the long time. I?m actually hoping it needs some stuff done that I can do, thereby supporting a lower offer price.

Tpenfield:
Yes, I will inquire about its storage and get any history they will divulge.

Since it is consignment, I doubt the dealer will do all of it on their dime. I also doubt they would sell if it had a known serious problem, ie cracked block/manifolds (they did offer lake trial run, and said it passed their presale inspection, whatever that means). I'm going to check it out again this weekend with much more scrutiny, as much as they will let me. Not sure they will let me pull the plugs and do a compression test on my own, or drain lower unit oil, etc. I will drill them for the maintenance records, see if they will perform some of the tests, pull the props, etc., then pay for checks they won?t. That is, if the lake trial goes well and if a deal can be reached. I will update afterward as an fyi for someone else looking at a similar kind of deal.

If I end up with it, one way or another all checklist items will be addressed and resolved before use.

tpenfield

Staff member
Lots of boats are sold with cracked exhaust and engines, but more typically through a private sale. When you say the boat is being sold via consignment, it sounds like what is commonly known as a broker sale. If so, the dealer gets about 10% of the sale price.

You could have a marine surveyor inspect the boat and a certified boat mechanic inspect the engine and do a compression test. Those are typical for a boat sale of this type.

Don't make assumptions, as they can lead to misconceptions. Hopefully everything will go fine.

blex

Cadet
Forgot to follow-up. To close this thread-- I was looking at a 10 year old boat with only 74 hrs, and was concerned about issues from little use over that time frame. As it turns out, the boat had been kept on a covered lift, freshwater only and winterized every year. Dealer had all records and had engine compression test results. The boat sold before I could get back over there. It was a 2007 220DR Stingray, 5.7 Gi, DPS-A for 15K. It looked like new inside and out, so I think someone got a good deal.