Cooling help

aaronpotts16

Cadet
I bought an 88 Barretta Supersport with a volvo penta engine and 275 outdrive.

The boat doesnt have to be in gear for the water pump/impellor to run does it?

I had it running for the first time today, sat and idles for about a half hour and it started to overheat. I had a hose and ear muffs hooked up anc running.

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome:

No does not have to be in gear to have cooling. So, best to start checking things out in the cooling system . . . impeller, hoses, thermostat, etc.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the water pump is crank driven on your boat. however did you replace the impeller in the pump?. also when running the AQ series of drives on the muffs, you must use a cork or plug to plug the 1/2" diamter hole in the bottom of the nose of the outdrive. i have a rubber cork, however have also used a sharpie marker in a pinch.

since you overheated, most likely you toasted the impeller.

aaronpotts16

Cadet
I havent replaced any parts of the cooling system, i was told the boat was water ready when i bought it. I will have to try to find this hole? You say its on the bottom of the outdrive?

the water pump is crank driven on your boat. however did you replace the impeller in the pump?. also when running the AQ series of drives on the muffs, you must use a cork or plug to plug the 1/2" diamter hole in the bottom of the nose of the outdrive. i have a rubber cork, however have also used a sharpie marker in a pinch.

since you overheated, most likely you toasted the impeller.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I havent replaced any parts of the cooling system, i was told the boat was water ready when i bought it.
And I am a french model with ocean front property in North Dakota

I havent replaced any parts of the cooling system, i was told the boat was water ready when i bought it. I will have to try to find this hole? You say its on the bottom of the outdrive?

Yes, however I would also replace the impeller you burned up

Scott Danforth

Staff member
if you dont have enough water flow to cool the motor, it will melt the impeller in about 20-30 seconds of running. so in the 20 minutes that you were running it and the motor overheated, its a safe bet that the impeller is now a melted ball of goo.. on a AQ series volvo, its an ITT Jabsco pump mounted on the front of the crank. takes about 3 minutes to change the impeller (5/16" wrench to pull the cover). The impeller kit is about $30. it takes a bit longer to find the pieces of the old impeller if any of the vanes are broken/melted/etc.

you may be lucky and your impeller may still be intact and the overheating is caused by an obstruction after the pump. in that case, you have some plumbing to pull and backflush.

however you wont know until you check. you are relying on the word of the PO who would have told you anything to get you to buy the boat. with any new to you boat, change the raw water impeller, change the bellows, inspect the u-joints, change the gear oil, change the engine oil/filter, change the fuel filter, perform an ignition service, inspect all the belts, etc. change the anodes

aaronpotts16

Cadet
The impeller looks fine to me, it wont let me post a picture of it. Seems like im not getting any water to the impeller.

aaronpotts16

Cadet
I unhooked the rubber portion of the line, hooked my water hose into it and water comes out the motor so i lmow its not blocked. Hooked the hose to the side going to the impeller, and i have flow to the impeller.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
if this pump is belt driven post a pic of the end with the pully and what engine is it.